Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q about short block assembly.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Q about short block assembly.

I took my engine to the machine shop last week to get it align honed and assembled. I was thinkin about it and what all is involved in assembling a shortblock besides bolting it up?
I hear about plastiguage. Im assuming that you use that when you clamp down the bearing caps to show you how tight the tolerances are. Do they just check to see if its correct and if its not they get different bearings? I guess what Im asking is what happens if the plastiguage doesnt show what you hope it to?
Im on a **** budget atm just tryin to finish this up. I have assembled engines before but always stock hp engines. Never something I wanted to handle alot of power. And the more that I think about it Im hopin that I can just have them align hone it and I install the rotating assembly. I certainly am mechanically inclined just wanna be informed is all.

So a quick overview of my q would be, when assembling an engine that is almost brand new what would a installer have to do besides bolt it all up? Thanks for any info!

John
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Do a search. There are not only several books on how to build LSx engines specifically, but there are several threads that go into pretty good detail.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had done a search and came up with nothing. While Im sure there is a ton of books on how to do it I was lookin for hte easy way out. Ill do more searching, but would love anyones help.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the book... its 16 bucks well spent.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the FI part of LS1 tech the only place worth lookin at nemore?
Was just hopin to not have to buy a book to get the one answer I was lookin for.

Seemed like a simple q. IF plastigage shows a size outta the range you want it to show what happens. Thanks for the help. Ill make sure If I see ya in the FI section to tell ya to read a book about turbos if you wanna know anything. GL *******
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well to help answer you question...If the tolerance is too tight the machinist can machine the parts to make it right. if the tolerance is too big the machinist may have to machine the part further and use over sized bearings...books will tell you a lot, but sometimes a simple answer works the best