Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak

Well after getting home from the LS Fest I notice purple oil on the back of car. I put it on jackstands and it's all over the oil pan, transmission bellhousing, transmission pan, and transmission crossmember. There is no knock and great oil pressure and no smoke at all under load at all. I have cleaned all the oil off the underneath of the car.
I took the inspection cover off the tranny to see if there was any oil in the bellhousing thinking it might be the rear main seal and it was bone dry so I'm thinking it's not the rear main seal.
I would guess it will either be the oil pan gasket or maybe it's coming from the oil cooler bypass cover/block off plate? Anyone had any issues with this?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not running Purple engine oil then the only other fluids that could appear purple in color are Automatic transmission fluid or powersteering fluid.

If you have a M6 transmission they use ATF fuid and could be leaking also.

My engine was leaking at the front passenger side corner were the oil pan and timing chain cover bolt up together and the oil was running along the oil pan and dripping off the passenger bottom corner of the oil pan on to my driveway,,about the size of a silver dallor.
Also my powersteering pump seal was leaking which was a bigger problem than the engines leak.

So I made sure my wife saw the oil on the driveway so she would bitch ,,,so I told her Ok I will fix it. So that opened up the door for me to do a H/C/I swap.

Now my car is faster and no leaks all thanks to my wife.

I would look at the corners of the oil pan gasket.

Also I had small tiny leaks everywhere that wasn't really noticeable until I had the engine out of the car.

Last edited by incbed; 09-13-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

I run royal purple oil, that's why I stated it was purple oil. I know it's engine oil, just not sure yet as to exactly where it's coming from.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

OK, so I found the culprit and fixed the problem. This weekend I took the pcv system off and removed the breather on the valve cover. I noticed the dipstick was covered in oil when I got under it. The crankcase got pressurized and pushed the dipstick out of the pan a little bit. I put the pcv system and breather back on then pushed the dipstick back into the pan. Much relief!!!