Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam decision

ive been looking at cams lately and want to pick one out ahead of time. i was thinking of talking with patrickG to see what would suit me best, but off the shelf cams im stuck between 3.

torquer V2
Trex
comp 238/240 (close to an MS3 size)

i just want to gather an idea based on other's experiences with these cams. car will be driven weekends only, sometimes DD if i feel like making noise (i work nights).
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
ive been looking at cams lately and want to pick one out ahead of time. i was thinking of talking with patrickG to see what would suit me best, but off the shelf cams im stuck between 3.

torquer V2
Trex
comp 238/240 (close to an MS3 size)

i just want to gather an idea based on other's experiences with these cams. car will be driven weekends only, sometimes DD if i feel like making noise (i work nights).
I can only speak about the Trex cause I had it in my car for about 2 weeks. The PTV clearance is really tight. I pulled the heads and saw where the valves were hitting the pistons. It sounds great, and I've heard the performance is really good, but it's kinda taking a gamble. I have a buddy that has the torquer V2 and loves it. He says it pulls hard and it sounds really good. Not sure about the comp cam.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KevinR
I can only speak about the Trex cause I had it in my car for about 2 weeks. The PTV clearance is really tight. I pulled the heads and saw where the valves were hitting the pistons. It sounds great, and I've heard the performance is really good, but it's kinda taking a gamble. I have a buddy that has the torquer V2 and loves it. He says it pulls hard and it sounds really good. Not sure about the comp cam.
thats what i was worried about with the trex, i would need to get thicker gaskets or work my heads for them to work, i want to stay cam only until i save up for some patriot stg 2 or 3's. ive heard the T2 in person through tsp duals and loved it and its my top choice so far since its a streetable cam in most situations.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say the Tourqer V2 would be a good choice. More power under the curve than the T-Rex and just as mean sounding. I just bought some AFR 205 62cc heads and want to run the Torquer V2 or V3, but I'm not sure if it will fit without having to flycut.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you considered the torquer v.3? IMO that cam is better then the v.2 in all ways. It has more low end power because of the lobes used, and the lobe seperation we build it on. The torquer v.2 is still a good cam, I just like the torquer v.3 better.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go custom grind.