Sponsored by:

oil change turned bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation oil change turned bad?

ok changed my oil today and i put 7 quarts of oil in... i know WTF

last time i listen to guy at a parts store before before doing my own research.

did the change, drove about 30 miles or so

took it to the track at night and it drove like *** and feels like a great loss of power, especialy after 4k RPM

i hope its just too much oil, im going to drain it today and find out if its better. THIS time im only adding 6 quarts.

car is a rx7 with a 99 vette ls1 with auto trans, BONE stock.

would too much oil cause this bad performance? car keept running 15's in the 1/4 mile!!!!

only did 2 runs spinning alittle before i noticed somethign isnt right motor wise.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The extra quart is not your problem....road racers and others add 7 quarts all the time without any problems! Do you have access to a data logger like HPTuners and similar so you can watch some sensor info and try to figure out what is really going on?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

The oil is cavetating, it's basically being whipped up by the crank. Usually too much oil (1/2qt- 1qt) wont do much but if it gets too frothy it will introduce air into the oil which can lead to bearing failure.

You may also have other tuning issues if your car is running like a turd.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
The extra quart is not your problem....road racers and others add 7 quarts all the time without any problems! Do you have access to a data logger like HPTuners and similar so you can watch some sensor info and try to figure out what is really going on?
i had my diablo sport programmer hooked up to it but i recently took the tune of because the car was acting up, it has an option for real time data that i could look at while the motor is running/driving

what exactly are some of the oens i should be looking for?

Originally Posted by usmcz28
The oil is cavetating, it's basically being whipped up by the crank. Usually too much oil (1/2qt- 1qt) wont do much but if it gets too frothy it will introduce air into the oil which can lead to bearing failure.

You may also have other tuning issues if your car is running like a turd.
yeah, i herd that too much oil can cause failure and other problems.

im going to drain some of the oil and if its still acting up, ill move on to the next step, whatever that might be
Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

This is what one of the guys on the norotors forum said, sounds like what could have happend

"7 qts probably would have ended up giving you a ton of blowby and fouling the plugs. The PCV system on the early LS1's is a known weak point and will end up causing you to burn lots of oil even when you don't over fill the system.

Change your oil again. Put the right amount in, Swap over to the LS6 valley cover and a good catch can, then put some new plugs in it. I'm willing to bet it'll run much better."

but another guy said it could be a trans problem.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do a search here and find plenty of people who run 7 quarts, no problems! Sorry your issue isn't going to be as easy to find/fix as draining some oil

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

fuuuuuuuck.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICEY?
car is a rx7 with a 99 vette ls1 with auto trans, BONE stock.
The 99' vettes had a 7 quart pan on them.. So if yours is the original pan, then I think you can rule that out.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

well i let some oil out of it, and it runs alot better, but ever since i had the car it kinda feels like its not as fast as it should be.

when i floor the car it spins alittle thru first, hits second spins alittle, and in 3rd it usualy cherps.

car dosnt have LSD but i imagined that a bone stock ls1 should have no problem burning thru 1st gear and most of 2nd.

keep in mind that its an a 2nd gen mazda rx7.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you post your Timeslip and DA?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i let some oil out of it, and it runs alot better, but ever since i had the car it kinda feels like its not as fast as it should be.

when i floor the car it spins alittle thru first, hits second spins alittle, and in 3rd it usualy cherps.

car dosnt have LSD but i imagined that a bone stock ls1 should have no problem burning thru 1st gear and most of 2nd.

keep in mind that its an a 2nd gen mazda rx7.
spinning tires is not a accurate measurement. You have to remember you have a light car with a stock stall and who knows what kind of tires. Your timeslip will be a much better judgement.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

both runs i did were in the 15.xx

maybe the car jsut really needs a tune, and what is DA?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Density Altitude. it is a combination of the weather and altitude.

and post your whole slip if you have it, including your 60ft and all that stuff.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

IN---------- .00
Reaction---- .6636
60 FT------- 2.2519
330ftFT----- 6.5633
1/8 ET------ 10.1506
1/8 MPH---- 69.16
1000 ET---- 13.1686
1000 MPH--- NONE
1/4 ET------ 15.7167
1/4 MPH----- 89.18
Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

as for weather all i can really say is it was in the 70's F

and altitude is not that high above sea level lol, track was at Gulfport, MS
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm ok well, what rpm does your car shift at? You car is not running right that is for sure. I would suspect your trans is slipping or there is an issue with the swap causing your car to make no power.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might want to post up in the eastern regional section and see if anyone can help take a look at it for you.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 180ls1
hmm ok well, what rpm does your car shift at? You car is not running right that is for sure. I would suspect your trans is slipping or there is an issue with the swap causing your car to make no power.
yeah i figured something is up.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
you might want to post up in the eastern regional section and see if anyone can help take a look at it for you.
yeah, im having a guy i know (adam) he might go as warhawk on here, not sure. but he has been giving me some advice and if he cant figure it out i might try someone off this forum or try giving james from running with the devil a call, or someone of that nature.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what one of the guys on the norotors forum said, sounds like what could have happend

"7 qts probably would have ended up giving you a ton of blowby and fouling the plugs. The PCV system on the early LS1's is a known weak point and will end up causing you to burn lots of oil even when you don't over fill the system.

Change your oil again. Put the right amount in, Swap over to the LS6 valley cover and a good catch can, then put some new plugs in it. I'm willing to bet it'll run much better."

but another guy said it could be a trans problem.
That's incorrect.

Check the condition of the engine oil on your dispstick, if there is no sign of frothing, then 7 qts is fine. Why would you change the oil again (makes no sense)...?

Extra oil does not increase blowby (does he know what blowby is...?), and it doesn't cause the PCV to suck any more or less oil.

Even without a catchcan and LS6 valley cover, you should get better performance that what you said.

When you're holding 3rd gear (lever in manual 3rd position) and the TCC locks, increase throttle but avoid a downshift, if RPM stays constrained/loaded then the trans is not slipping, if RPM quickly moves up then trans is slipping. How much fluid do you have in the trans (you can overfill it by 1/2 qt as long as no frothing)...?

Even with worn plugs you should still get reasonably good performance.

You have some other problem... your handheld may not be sufficient for viewing all the waveforms together.

$0.02.