Sponsored by:

Engine cleaning (internal)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cleaning (internal)

Hey,
I recently picked up a LQ9 as a spare. The engine has 31K on her, rusty block but I'm going to wire wheel the outside, and use a dremel on the external grooves. I am not sure what is best to clean these pistons, Deck and to wipe out the cylinders with. I have read the pistons have a coating on them so I don't want to use the wrong stuff while trying to get the carbon build up off.

So please chime in, if you know whats best.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC
Hey,
I recently picked up a LQ9 as a spare. The engine has 31K on her, rusty block but I'm going to wire wheel the outside, and use a dremel on the external grooves. I am not sure what is best to clean these pistons, Deck and to wipe out the cylinders with. I have read the pistons have a coating on them so I don't want to use the wrong stuff while trying to get the carbon build up off.

So please chime in, if you know whats best.
if it has rust already forming, only thing you can really do is to empty the guts, and start over.. its just a rusted block at that point. take it to a shop with a hot tank and let them clean it up. have them hone and re-crosshatch the cylinders as well.. then go home and give it a light coating of oil and wrap it in shrink wrap until you are ready to build it...dont leave it exposed to the air for any real length of time... a few days at a time to work on it as you get parts, but otherwise leave it covered up.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

No only the outside is rusty (iron)... inside is mint, I just want to get the carbon off the pistons without taking the coating off. I'm thinking a plastic putty knife, and seafoam on a rag. But I just want to make sure its okay to use.

No rust on the deck, pistons or internals, only outside but a wire wheel, marine clean, and por 15 will fix that
Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use Seafoam to remove the carbon, it won't hurt the pistons or any other engine parts.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

I use mineral spirits,denatured alcohol and acetone to clean all my parts cleans easy and safe for most evrything.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you use all of them or whatever one you have handy?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Which ever one you can handle breathin but ya i use all three got jug of each. The mineral spirit or acetone for the thick and denatured for final wipe down. But thats me neet freak.