Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porvette lives again

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great project,congrats.you need a ecm tune for a bigger cam like that,not near stock.the smoke is probably from oil on the exhaust system.also clean your MAF with the right stuff.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya thats the link I got the symptoms from, I will double check to make sure the MAP sensor is plugged up and do what it says to insure that there is proper signal coming from the sensor itself and the PCM. It worked last time the engine was together but that was about 1 year ago now.

garygnu, I know I need to tune the PCM for the cam but I have to get the car to Little Rock at the closest place with a HP tuner setup on their dyno, I am concerned right now if that would be a cause with the manifold pressure code it pulled on the PCM.

Last edited by cfgioja; 12-12-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cfgioja
Curious about a check engine light on this swap. Would Running a 228/230 .571/.573 110 cam on a stock computer cause this code manifold absolute pressure/ barometric pressure circuit range/ performance problem?

I need to get a tune I just dont want to have it break on me before I get there.
it dumps out alot of fuel at start up causing black smoke and as a very hard time trying to find idle. As far a drive ability I dont know yet, It has only moved down the driveway and back.
Yes it could, its pretty common after a cam swap. The map tables need too be tweaked.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

thank you Chevy guy thats is the yes or no answer I needed to find out. I know I still need some tweaking to the system, just wanted to make sure there was not something else I needed to be tracking down until I get tot the dyno/ tune shop.

Thank you all for the compliments, this project is coming along great at the perfect time for the ice to show up on the roads so, it wont be driving until it warms up alittle.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

i just meant the smoke could be new gaskets. thats usually the norm, as far as the code, i really doubt thats causing the smoke.lol atleast at the front of the engine/