Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opening up the combustion chambers on 317s

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opening up the combustion chambers on 317s

I am home-porting a set of 317 heads to use on my LS1. I want to keep the compression as low as possible especially since it looks like I am going to have to have the heads surfaced. Most posts I read when searching on here have to do with milling to reduce chamber volume/increase compression. I want to take material out of the chamber without hurting anything. Can anyone tell me where to cut and where not to cut? And how many CCs should I be able to remove safely?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

hi my name is paris pugliese u dont realy want to grind much in the chamber you can get 4-5 cc out but that will take a lot of work \.what cr do u want
Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I would like the CR to end up being as low as I can get it....was hoping for less then 9.5 I didnt CC the heads before I started but I did take some material out yesterday. I really have no concept of how much material equals 1 cc. I just opened the area arounnd the valves and took a little off the spark plug lump (left it the same basic shape, just smoothed it. Then I smoothed the rest of the chamber. Not sure when I will get a chance to cc them but I hope I al least made some kind of difference !!