Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Racing cam lobes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Thunder Racing cam lobes?

Can someone educate me on Thunder Racing cam lobes. I've been searching on here, but haven't found much. Does Thunder Racing use their own special cam lobes and if so, how do they compare to Cam Motion lobes and the line of Comp lobes?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they vary.... i have a trex and none of the spec are the same as on the website....but there close... i think my CL is 109, larger lift and longer duration.... runs real well at wot haha
Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Can someone educate me on Thunder Racing cam lobes. I've been searching on here, but haven't found much. Does Thunder Racing use their own special cam lobes and if so, how do they compare to Cam Motion lobes and the line of Comp lobes?
They are a tad more agressive than XE and a tad less agressive than XER
Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
They are a tad more agressive than XE and a tad less agressive than XER

Thanks PREDATOR-Z. In you oppinion, how do the Thunder Racing lobes stack up against the Futral/Cam Motion lobes? I know you've replied to other threads I have had, and I really appreciate it. I'm alomst 100% sure I'm going with Futral to grind my cam, but I want to make sure it's on their priority lobes, as I have read that Futral uses Cam Motion lobes, but all the Futral cams (F-13, F-14, etc.) are gound on Allan's priority lobes. I'm sure if I give him a call, I can get that taken care of. You seem to be the most informative on Cam Motion lobes, so do you know what the difference is between the Futral lobes and the normal Cam Motion lobes? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Im glad Cam Motion is starting to generate some attention around here. Let me add my .02. from my experience. From what I can tell, Futral has his cam's made by Cam Motion, they are made to Futrals specs on whatever lobe he desires. They are his cams. Cam Motion has their own line of shelf cams on their lobes. Their cams have aggressive lobes. They are a small town company that has made race cams forever and it shows with their street cams. My cam I ordered has a smaller base circle then any cam I know of at similar specs. By shrinking the cam smaller, it makes the ramp of the lobe going up and back down more straight up and down. By moving the valves quicker, it yields more PTV but also a tougher job for the valve springs. They also, I believe, have the potential to make more power, but with more wear and tear on the valve train. These cams IMO are better suited for cars that are not DD and whose owners don't mind changing/checking valve springs periodically. The cool thing about Cam Motion cams is that they offer each grind in 3 or 4 different lift combinations so you can run the lift that you feel comfortable.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Here's a quick paint mock up.

Traditional cam on the left, Cam motion on the right. You can see by shrinking the cam it makes the lobes more straight up and down. It also requires the use of longer pushrod as you can obviously tell. This way of doing things is nothing new as all aftermarket cams I know of shrink the base circle down when compared to the stock cam. Cam Motion just takes it one step further.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Futral cams are less aggressive than XE-R lobes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Im glad Cam Motion is starting to generate some attention around here. Let me add my .02. from my experience. From what I can tell, Futral has his cam's made by Cam Motion, they are made to Futrals specs on whatever lobe he desires. They are his cams. Cam Motion has their own line of shelf cams on their lobes. Their cams have aggressive lobes. They are a small town company that has made race cams forever and it shows with their street cams. My cam I ordered has a smaller base circle then any cam I know of at similar specs. By shrinking the cam smaller, it makes the ramp of the lobe going up and back down more straight up and down. By moving the valves quicker, it yields more PTV but also a tougher job for the valve springs. They also, I believe, have the potential to make more power, but with more wear and tear on the valve train. These cams IMO are better suited for cars that are not DD and whose owners don't mind changing/checking valve springs periodically. The cool thing about Cam Motion cams is that they offer each grind in 3 or 4 different lift combinations so you can run the lift that you feel comfortable.

Thanks for your help. So if I spec my own cam and have Futral grind it, it will be on Futral's own specific lobes? I'm thinking along the lines of a 230/234 110 LSA with the lift being in the low .600's. I have heard nothing but good things about Futral/Cam Motion cams, which is why I'm going to use them. I just noticed that having Futral grind a cam is more expensive than going straight through Cam Motion, which is why I was wondering if the lobes are different. If not, then it wouldn't make any sense not to just go through Cam Motion. I've looked on the Cam Motion website, but didn't see any information about their lobes or if they have different lobes, like Comp Cams does. Any more information you have would be great. It seems to me like every swinging dick around here uses either Comp or the "latest and greatest" EPS lobes, so I can't wait to get my setup installed and post the results. Also, I don't mind if the cam is hard on the valve springs because my car is not a daily driver.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix

Comp does grind all of our camshafts, however we do use a wide variety of lobes on our custom cams depending on what each customer is looking for. A good bit of our shelf cams use proprietary lobes, while some use XER, LSX, XE, XFI, LSL, or a combination of different lobes. We don't use one specific lobe. Hope this cleared it up for you.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ThunderStruk
Comp does grind all of our camshafts, however we do use a wide variety of lobes on our custom cams depending on what each customer is looking for. A good bit of our shelf cams use proprietary lobes, while some use XER, LSX, XE, XFI, LSL, or a combination of different lobes. We don't use one specific lobe. Hope this cleared it up for you.
Sounds as if you are saying I could have two different TR230 cams, each of which may have a different lobe, depending on what the customer ordered?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5Coupe
Sounds as if you are saying I could have two different TR230 cams, each of which may have a different lobe, depending on what the customer ordered?
Don't think that's what he meant. A TR230 is a TR230, a custom cam would have different specs than a specific named grind like the TR230
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Don't think that's what he meant. A TR230 is a TR230, a custom cam would have different specs than a specific named grind like the TR230
That's what I would hope, I was a little confused by the wording.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing cam lobes?