Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Heads for an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate Heads for an LS1

I've heard that the LT1/4 heads won't physically bolt to an LS1 block. Is that true?

I'm only concerned with bolt pattern, bore spacing and coolant passages... nothing else.

Also, are there any aftermarket castings that stray away from the cathedral ports?

thanks.

<small>[ February 25, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Pro Stock John ]</small>
Old 02-25-2003, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Default Re: Alternate Heads for an LS1

93-97 LT1 heads are totally different from 98-02 LS1 heads. What heads do you have?
Old 02-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS1 heads are held on with 4 bolts per cylinder; all Chevy small block heads before the LS1 had 5 bolts per cylinder.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Teching In

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What heads do you have?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">None, I had heard that LS1's were 4-bolt vs orig 5-bolt style and that seemed odd as I thought the LS1 was an extension of the LT1's development (reverse cool, pump etc.)

I was hoping an AFR LT4 would bolt to an LS1.

Are there any head castings then that take a more conventional shape vs the cathedral ports?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just the C5R are conventional ports. But they are out of almost everyones price range. The LS6 heads flow well enough that there arent any different heads on the market. Its not the heads that cause the problem it is the intake manifold that isnt flowing enough for power.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys.

Pro Stock John, I skimmed your buildup... If you want big power w/o air cooling your best friend will be low compression.
Keep your quench as tight as possible, open the chamber's cc a bit and match the chamber with a custom piston dish (or reverse the cause and effect there) keep the chamber as 'cool' as possible coatings are a good idea too. and be VERY mindful. religiously so, to blower efficiency and don't let your exh blow down too much (moving inefficient faster).

Can you cheat the rules? NO2/propane/alcohol/nitromethane/H2O Cool the SC housing with nitrogen/ice/etc.

Do the LS1's have a decent level of knock sensing?

I love beating rules, it's like chess to me.. If you email me a copy of the relevant rules I may have an inspiration or two.
zenon222@hotmail.com