Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent valve seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010 | 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Bent valve seal

I was putting new valve seals on my heads during a cam install and my girlfriend was talking to me ( yes im blaming her for this ) and i lost a little concentration and bent a valve seal slightly by starting it off center a little bit while hammering it down with a socket on top of it. The outer side of it is bent, not the top section, and I put it on straight and was able to hammer it on the valve guide correctly. You can still see that it is slightly bent, but it seats on the valve guide true, and only the side is bent, not the top. I was wondering if it is still usable, or if I need to order a new set to replace this one. Do they sell these at auto parts stores or will I have to order from Patriot again?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010 | 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

any input?
Old 12-29-2010 | 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

project is getting held up because of this, anyone have any input on the situation?

I'm thinking it should be OK since the seal is made against the valve stem and the top of the valve guide, and as stated above, the top of the seal isn't bent at all, its only the side of the seal that goes around the valve guide that is slightly mis-shapen.

Last edited by BlackBirds; 12-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2010 | 07:45 PM
On The Tree

The seal surface is the inside of the seal sides to the outer diameter of the valve guide and at the valve stem itself. The interface betweeen the seal and the top of the guide is not normally considered a part of the seal contact area.
Now if the bend is on just the leading edge of the sides you should be ok. I'd worry more about the seal not having enough "grab" on the side of the guide and riding up the guide with use. This would not be good!
I'd replace the bent seal if I could get a new one easily. As long as you are using normal sized guides and valves getting a single one from a GM dealership (or a friendly machine shop) might be an option.
Old 12-29-2010 | 08:27 PM
Teching In

Get the seal(s) - it isn't worth putting it together only to find you are burning oil. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-29-2010 | 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed, I'm not sure why i needed second opinions on replacing a damaged seal.

I'm gonna have to get a full set of 16 from autozone though, I get off work after the dealership is closed, oh well.