Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 cam question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 cam question

Ok so I have this motor waiting to go in my car. I'm going with the vic jr and 750 edelbrock, can I change the cam out without having to do anything else? As far as changing springs, push rods, lifters etc.?
If I can what cam would ya'll recommend going with as far as an off the shelf cam? I just dont think this motor will really satisfy me just bone stock, I wanna do it big the first go around lol
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on the valvetrain? If you go with a decent size cam at all, you're going to need springs, and possibly pushrods depending on which cam you choose.

I'm doing an LQ4 build as well, and I chose a custom cam spec'd to my needs by Pat G, and ground by EPS. Specs are in sig... If you want something off the shelf, my motor came with a TSP Torquer V2 in it, and was said to run well. Something around 230 duration would probably suit you well, depending on your goals.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the motor and tranny has (3223) wrote all over it, I assume that is the miles the truck had when they pulled it. This motor came from a junkyard, buddy of mine had it to put in a vette and decided against it.
I'm really just looking to get some decent power for the street, me and the lady will probably just cruise around in it. To be honest, it probably wont see the track at all but I want it to be able to run if I need it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone else should be able to help you out a little better than I regarding cam selection, but I would go for something like the Tv2 or 228R (if you're looking for something a little smaller). There are plenty of solid options, though, and hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable about carb setups can chime in with some suggestions. In any case, you'll need springs at a minimum...
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Springs, hardened pushrods, gaskets, crank bolt,oil, etc.... and of course a tune.