Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L head question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004 | 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Default 5.3L head question

I have a set of 5.3 heads I am going to use on my car. I was told that I only needed the seats ground instead of new seats to install the 2.00 LS1 valves. To me that doesn't make any sense, sounds like covering up a small hole with a bigger valve. That just sounds like it would flow worse than if I just left the 1.89 valves in them. Am I right about needing new seats?????
Old 02-10-2004 | 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99HUGGSS
I have a set of 5.3 heads I am going to use on my car. I was told that I only needed the seats ground instead of new seats to install the 2.00 LS1 valves. To me that doesn't make any sense, sounds like covering up a small hole with a bigger valve. That just sounds like it would flow worse than if I just left the 1.89 valves in them. Am I right about needing new seats?????
All the 5.3 heads we have seen have the same seat sive in them as the 5.7 heads. This will allow you to install the 2.02 valves with appro. machine work to the heads. Those castings will require a bit of hand porting below the seat after they are machined out for the bigger valves.
Old 02-10-2004 | 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick Agostino
All the 5.3 heads we have seen have the same seat sive in them as the 5.7 heads. This will allow you to install the 2.02 valves with appro. machine work to the heads. Those castings will require a bit of hand porting below the seat after they are machined out for the bigger valves.
I agree, the seats are the same...

But , if the intake ports are the same , why would you need the porting below the seat...

Dave
Old 02-10-2004 | 03:03 PM
Launching!

The area just below the seat is cast about the same but when the heads are machined for the bigger valves (@ GM) they also have a small cut below the seat to make the transition from the valve job to the bowl area.

Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk
I agree, the seats are the same...

But , if the intake ports are the same , why would you need the porting below the seat...

Dave