Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow car shutting off

Hey all, so I recently got a car and a problem has shown up that does scare me.
Whenever I have the ac or heater on in the car and go to stop at a light the car can sometimes just shut off on me. Also can shut off if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left the rpms will dip then just die. Cold starts the car likes to warm up so I rev it a little till the rpms start to settle but if its not warmed up sufficently while driving the rpms may start to dip then the car will shut off
Car likes to buck or jerk at low speeds below 40.
This seems like its all a problem with the idle control somewhere but wanted to know if anyone else has anything similar.
Kinda worried driving the car anywhere too far since the car won't seem to idle and coast too well anywhere so I try and just downshift as much as I can to keep it going or else I may rev it a bit to keep it up. This problem doesn't happen everytime I drive but every other day or so.

Mods: heads/cam full exhaust long tubes/ fast intake/
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

maybe just the idle air sensor going bad ? or needs to be cleaned?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any SES codes? If not, it sounds like a tuning issue or maybe a dirty MAF.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Yea no codes thrown at all, then this morning started it up would surge badly then die turned car off waited a little bit unplugged iac sensor and then plugged back in and started up. Fine after warmed up, just seems to like dying when going to an idle.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow78z28
Yea no codes thrown at all, then this morning started it up would surge badly then die turned car off waited a little bit unplugged iac sensor and then plugged back in and started up. Fine after warmed up, just seems to like dying when going to an idle.
IDK how to bench test the IAC motor, but I think it's supposed move it's piston in or out as the car warms up (I do know that the IAC sensor is kind of expensive and so is the damn o-ring, it's $11 so careful not to tear it lol). Also, I guess you can make sure the little port in the TB for the idle air isn't clogged. What's it idle at? If it's low, maybe open the blade a hair with the screw adjustment.

FWIW, since you aren't getting any codes, it sounds more like it's a tune problem. It might be a good idea to have someone take a look at it with HP Tuners or EFI Live. There must be some good shops down there...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

it idles at around 900 rpm just under the 1k tune problem eh? hrmp :/ would the idle air control motor just either just work or not work? not be intermmintent like it has been?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe just the idle air sensor going bad ? or needs to be cleaned?
As there is no such item as an "idle air sensor" I'd say it's time for either a mechanic or more time reading up on your car's powertrain management system.

unplugged iac sensor and then plugged back in
It's a motor, not a sensor. See above.