Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 piston question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 piston question

I bought a used 5.3 and had planned on doing a simple cam swap. After pulling the cam I found the bearings were worn so I decided to replace main,rod and cam bearings all together. So it's at the machine shop now.
Would I be ok reusing the stock pistons and replacing rings? Motor had 157xxx on it and ran fine.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firstgenguy
I bought a used 5.3 and had planned on doing a simple cam swap. After pulling the cam I found the bearings were worn so I decided to replace main,rod and cam bearings all together. So it's at the machine shop now.
Would I be ok reusing the stock pistons and replacing rings? Motor had 157xxx on it and ran fine.
The technical answer would be have machine shop measure the bore taper to make sure it is still in spec. Throw a hone on it and have at it if it checks good.

I have heard alot of people comment how they opened a LSX engine up and could still see the crosshatch pattern of the factory hone on a motor with 150k and up miles on the clock.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I asked him to check the block out while it was there. So I'm guessing he will measure. I could faintly see the cross hatches in the bores. The only real thing the caught my eye was that I could move the pistons around in the cylinders a little. Rings fit tight but if you move the piston to one side you could see the rings on the other side.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Have you found a good set of rings somewhere, I am currently at almost the exact same stage in the build, 5.3, ???miles, can clearly see crosshatching in all cylinders, have new cam, main, rod bearings, and almost a completely new valvetrain.. Just have to figure out what to do with the pistons and rings...