Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal Camshaft Wear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is this normal Camshaft Wear?

Is this normal wear on my camshaft or a problem? I can't really feel any ridges with my fingernail. Background is this a totally stock motor in a road race car that runs a restrictor plate. Its been rebuilt and probably has 1,500 race only miles. I did have one bad pushrod on that side of the motor.
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal Camshaft Wear?-dsc_0882.jpg   Is this normal Camshaft Wear?-dsc_0887.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinda hard to tell if there are any gouges from the images, but looks fine to me. My cams always have a similar appearance when I pull them out.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

The wear area that i would like to see, is of the ramp and peak lift of the lobe, thats were the load is put, Thats were you will see if the cam is bad. if there's grooves or pits or galling, then the cam is bad and most likely the lifter are too.
And in the pic the lobe that has a blue tint to it and the lobe beside it is not consistent with each other, All the lobe on the cam shaft should look very close to the same to each other, if the cam and lifter are wearing normal, But if you see one or two that are inconsistent or wore more than the rest , you might be having a lifter going down (roller tip) failing.

Last edited by Randy WS6; 03-30-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input so far. Good point on looking at rest of the lobe especially around the peak of the lobe. I'll check that this weekend and I'm going to dig up some old stock cams in storage to see how they look, too.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
The wear area that i would like to see, is of the ramp and peak lift of the lobe, thats were the load is put, Thats were you will see if the cam is bad. if there's grooves or pits or galling, then the cam is bad and most likely the lifter are too.
And in the pic the lobe that has a blue tint to it and the lobe beside it is not consistent with each other, All the lobe on the cam shaft should look very close to the same to each other, if the cam and lifter are wearing normal, But if you see one or two that are inconsistent or wore more than the rest , you might be having a lifter going down (roller tip) failing.
Like randy said the peak lift of the lobe is where the cams will start to wear the most where they become rounded off. The wear pattern on your cam looks normal so far. Double check your rollers on your lifters if you are worried. Make sure they roll freely with no pitting or galling and are free from scratches.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its true that the most wear will occur on the ramp up and over the nose of the cam lobe, but once it starts to pit and you get some galling there, the rest of the base circle will also start to pit and gall.

Sadly, I know this all too well...

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 03-30-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

No difference on the peak of the lobes that I could see. Couldn't catch anything on my fingernail on any of them either. Can't really see the lifter much. I guess will pull the rockers and pushrods to see if I can push them up a little to see if there is any wear on them?
Those are some nasty lifters man.

Quick Reply: Is this normal Camshaft Wear?