Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hey guys,

I am ready to ditch the old tech ways of the First gen small block chevy, and give my 92 s10 reg cab reg bed, an overhaul, I currently have a 350 with 305 heads on it in my truck now it is alot of fun, however Id like to see what kind of power the newer motors can make. Ive had several friends with great results, whom only had to do literally a cam and headers, and made power i could only dream of with race heads and an excessive camshaft. when I heard most ls motors come with 6 bolt mains, forged crankshafts roller valvetrain and were compkletely aluminum I was there, SO without further adew load me up lemme know what is the best bang for the buck, best platform to start with, best mods etc etc. remember it is a 3100 lb truck with my current small block and myself 240 lb 6'2". Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Search for H/C/I threads & have a look @ dyno results in the dyno section. That's really the best way for you to decide on what to do. Good-luck w/ the swap. No matter what you decide, you will be happy w/ the reluslts.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Well there's a TON of info here, so you came to the right place. The iron block motors are cheaper, but the LS series are lighter. However, it's really just up to your budget. You can get the LS3 intakes for cheap with stock bigger injectors (I paid $275 complete for mine with fuels rails as a new pulloff), the l92/ls3 style heads for $300, then a cam and your done. Like dude said above the dyno section is a good place to start to see what will get you where.

Good luck with your swap!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 PM

I would definitely be doing the carb conversion as my truck is registered in Maine and I don't have to deal with the emissions bull ****. I see what you fellas mean with the price range a used 5.3 is about 500 clams, while a ls1 is near 2100! holy crap, well a 5.3l is my kinda engine it has aluminum heads and is still lighter that my all cast 350. In my research I read the 2002 5.3l makes 285 HP! and 315 tq. very impressive. Will this motor accept all the ls1 upgrades for example cams valve train components?