Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPS vs. TSP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul57
You are right...I did over-simplify it but it was to illustrate a point which I think happened??
I would disagree with you on bangin' shifts though. When I shift into second the RPM's will drop right back into the high point of my torque...about 1000 rpms below peak (estimated)...so it will pull hard to peak torque in that new gear. I suppose every application is different so not everyone is set up that way...sometimes I forget that...I don't always follow the masses.
I was a little closed-minded in that post. I was referring to M6s. Anything after a 6.5K throws you into the 5k+ rpm range
Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I'm not trying to sway your decision for what you want to buy. But I have seen some great cams out there. Not to mention the owner of EPS designed almost all of Thunder's cams, the cams that put them on the map around here. And ya know what? Those same cams still work. The LS1 hasn't changed, which means old grinds are tried and true. Their results are predictable, and well documented. Its like a guarantee of what you are gonna get on the side of the box. I never understand the chasing of the flavor of the month bs. Seems so silly when proven grinds are right there in your face.
So true!!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long does eps take for him to respond to spec a cam out?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In your search don't overlook those boys in Virginia
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by intenseblue
Thunder produces the famous TRex
Dont forget the TR230.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM

I just ordered the package from Texas Speed, I got the 233/239. I heard they are really good to deal with and so far they have been very nice, that is very important to me though. I figure if they are nice, they stand behind there products.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Plenty of cam choices out there. Just seems like the flavor of the week per se is eps and thunder. Don't sell your self short so do all your research and then make a decision. Don't make it based on what's trendy.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Like 01ss said you are lucky......there are so many options @ your disposal
and really no such thing as "best cam" but rather a company or spec
professional that listens to your wishes and then picks the right #s for you.
There are probably a dozen proven shelf cams that could all be tuned to fit
your bill but it seems everyone wants to feel that the custom cam designed
for them is "the best". The neatest part of the equation is that all the
vendors here are passionate about LS performance and cutting edge
technology.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

and never forget (and I know that the pro shops will tell you ... and recently Tony Mamo reminded me too) that it's all about the combo

and the tune lol
Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I went with an EPS custom grind because I got exactly what I want and after being around two running ones with EPS cams I was shocked how none of them made that sewing machine noise under the hood like every other cammed LS1 I have been around.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sidieux
I just ordered the package from Texas Speed, I got the 233/239. I heard they are really good to deal with and so far they have been very nice, that is very important to me though. I figure if they are nice, they stand behind there products.

I wish i could have gone with more cam. I would definitely have gone with that cam . My 230/227 cam drives sooo smooth i know i could have gone bigger.

Last edited by TXZ28LS1; 04-04-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've tried calling/emailing/contacting EPS and never got a response back from them. I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I'm sure EPS does fine work but they seem to lack customer service or need to hire more help. There are plenty other vendors that provide great service.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

I just talked with Geoff at EPS 2 1/2 hours ago. You are correct though...he is very busy. He is extremely customer oriented and helpful but does need more help. If you believe what is true on his website and that his cam designs have a bit of an edge over the others then it is worth the wait.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

for roll racing i would recommend an MS3 with 3.73's or Trex w/ 4.10s

i completely understand wanting all the power up top. I built my last car to run from a dig and it was lame because i couldn't spontaneously race people on the road. But i had great times at the track.

however if driveability is a big concern then i would recomend something in the low 230's. The el torro is a proven cam. (230XFI/230XER) have you consedired the Big Brother?(236XFI/236XER)
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
I've tried calling/emailing/contacting EPS and never got a response back from them. I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I'm sure EPS does fine work but they seem to lack customer service or need to hire more help. There are plenty other vendors that provide great service.
I only spoke w/Geoff three times when deciding on my cam specs, however
he never said hang on a minute I gotta get this other call. He is busy for 1
reason and when you're talking to him you'll have his undivided attention.
Be patient he is only human and like any vendor on here it takes time to
explain in simple terms the answers to the questions we all ask.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my cam from EPS and he was awesome. He answered the phone and speced me a cam on the spot.. I told him to give me a week to order and exactly a week he called me to touch base and see if I had any questions and if I was ready to order.. I ordered my cam and it did take a little while...however I was ok with the wait as for all the research I have done every car with his cam in it has made GREAT power! On the phone he is very helpful and nice and very knowledgeable... He even sent me a dyno sheet of my cam in another motor that is very similar to mine so I could have my stall re done...

Seems he does work by himself and it takes him a day or two to answer emails (check your junk folder too) however he just told me to call rather than email...
Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you everyone for your responses. It's always good to research threads on a site as extensive as LS1tech but at the same time theres nothing better than getting the most current information out there regarding site sponsors. Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by HTX
for roll racing i would recommend an MS3 with 3.73's or Trex w/ 4.10s

i completely understand wanting all the power up top. I built my last car to run from a dig and it was lame because i couldn't spontaneously race people on the road. But i had great times at the track.

however if driveability is a big concern then i would recomend something in the low 230's. The el torro is a proven cam. (230XFI/230XER) have you consedired the Big Brother?(236XFI/236XER)
This is pretty much where i'm at right now, I realize there's differing opinions regarding roll racing and the like, but I rarely use my car from a dig. Of course I do the occasional 1/4 mile track visit (about 20 minutes away from my house) but I punch the gas wayyy wayy wayy more from a roll than from a stop or >30 mph. I find myself hitting it most often from around 50-60 mph, this is the main reason for wanting as much top end power as possible without having a cam that is too rowdy and big for a street car.

Right now I am looking at cams in the low 230's and even considering cams in the 227 area as well. Whats turning me off of 224-227 range cams is that i'm finding quite a few threads where the owners are wishing they would have gone with something just a little bigger... Of course I realize theres PLENTY of "small" cams that are making nice power. I'm in one of those situations where if the cam makes good torque and bottom rpm range power thats great, BUT if i have to sacrifice some low end to gain some top end I will.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
Thank you everyone for your responses. It's always good to research threads on a site as extensive as LS1tech but at the same time theres nothing better than getting the most current information out there regarding site sponsors. Thanks everyone!

This is pretty much where i'm at right now, I realize there's differing opinions regarding roll racing and the like, but I rarely use my car from a dig. Of course I do the occasional 1/4 mile track visit (about 20 minutes away from my house) but I punch the gas wayyy wayy wayy more from a roll than from a stop or >30 mph. I find myself hitting it most often from around 50-60 mph, this is the main reason for wanting as much top end power as possible without having a cam that is too rowdy and big for a street car.

Right now I am looking at cams in the low 230's and even considering cams in the 227 area as well. Whats turning me off of 224-227 range cams is that i'm finding quite a few threads where the owners are wishing they would have gone with something just a little bigger... Of course I realize theres PLENTY of "small" cams that are making nice power. I'm in one of those situations where if the cam makes good torque and bottom rpm range power thats great, BUT if i have to sacrifice some low end to gain some top end I will.

I would suggest not going any smaller than a 228 cam. But at the same time, once your throw that cam in there and get it tuned and be surprised how much more you could have gone, i would suggest stepping up. I think a cam like the TSP Torquer 2 232/234 is atleast the smallest i would go.

Like i mentioned, i have never rode in a cammed car ever. My cam is a 230/227 591/571 112 and it drives sooo smooth. It pulls hard, and i dont get any headaches from bucking, or surging or dying out. Or also needing to start my car 3 times like some people do. I can cruise with the AC and sit in traffic. But seeing how well my cam has been, i would have gone a little bigger.

Something along the lines of a 231/237, 233/239, or the 232/234.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I would suggest to all guys that want to cam-go with something a tad bigger than you want-usually like drugs once you cam it-you want a tad bigger.

With T rex-it likes some compression and you may have to flycut with stock pistons-keep it in mind. Good to have a lot of gear with it too.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incase you guys don't know, we do custom grind cams as well. They are the same price as shelf cams and typically ground by Comp in 2-3 business days before shipping to you. We have an in-house engine dyno that we do extensive cam testing on to ensure that our shelf cams work exactly as we advertise but give us a first hand view of what different duration, lift, LSA, and advance do to different setups. This allows us to use that knowledge when designing cams for your specific application. Feel free to give us a call with any questions and we can get you the answers you are looking for!

Jon

Quick Reply: EPS vs. TSP