Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie New Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie New Build

Input would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of building up an LS1 but need some advice. the engine is for an off road buggy. Here are my thoughts:

I have a 98 LS1 block and want to run:

Scat crank 4.100
H beam rods 6.125
Dish pistons (I need to keep the compression at about 9.5 - 1 because I need to run pump gas). any advice on pistons?
Cam - need advice on a cam that is high on torque
Heads - will a 243 head work?
Fast 90 intake and TB

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

wouldnt run the 4.100 crank. i have 11.3 to 1 compression and run 92-93 pump gas. if you have to build the rotating assembly go with a 383 with good parts (ie. callies, diamond, weisco). prob need to know more about the build to determine cam and other parts. just for reference mine makes great low end considering the cam that it has. remember that if you build the 383 your regular off the shelf 347 cams will be more mild due to the increase in cubes.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply. Why not the 4.1 crank? Would it be easier to just run an iron block lq9? I will be adding weight, but if it it easier and Cheaper then I would consider it.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are several reasons why not. Of them, and someone else can chime in and correct me, there are bottom end clearance issues, not enough deck height to keep the pistons in the hole, and i believe there are others. Aftermarket blocks are usually good for more deck height that will accommodate the extra length in stroke.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
there are several reasons why not. Of them, and someone else can chime in and correct me, there are bottom end clearance issues, not enough deck height to keep the pistons in the hole, and i believe there are others. Aftermarket blocks are usually good for more deck height that will accommodate the extra length in stroke.
pretty sure you're right here. remember the stock ls1 stroke is like 3.6XX.

as for compression 11:1 can be run no problem on 93 octane. it's all in the tune. if you are looking for a torquey cam ask pat g to spec you one out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-change.html

lq9 is not necessary, plenty of hp and tq can be had with an ls1. especially if you are going to an after market bottom end.