Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Overheating???

I have a 2000 z28 with no mods and I just noticed the other day that the temperature gauge was almost redlining, when it usually sits at 210. I turned the car off and then turned it back on and watched the gauge drop from redline back to normal in like 5 seconds. I refilled the coolant resevoir and it was fine for a while and now its doing the exact same thing. Is my thermostat gone bad??? or something else. I need some advice cause it' only in the 70 and 80s for temp outside now but in a month or so it's gonna be up in the 100s+. Thanks for your advice in advance.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

yeah thermostat, they are cheap to, just $20 and take about 15 mins to change. since you are changeing it just get a 180* for like $60. If it was your water pump it would run hot the all the time. Sounds like your thermostat is starting to stick.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

ok thanks how hard are they to change? I haven't changed one in my camaro yet. and thanks for the advice again.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Its easy, the tools you need are pliers a 10mm or 13mm socket and small extension.

First drain the radiator, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator. Next remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing. To do that there is a hose clamp holding the hose on, this is where you will need the pliers. There are 2 bolts on the housing holding in the thermostat. It should be a one piece part, thermostat housing and the thermostat. Bolt up the new thermostat, hook up the radiator hose, make sure you close the radiator drain plug back up and refill your radiator.

If you dont drain the radiator first you will spill coolant every where when you disconnect the radiator hose.

p.s. make sure the car is cold when you change it.