Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only vs H\C package

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam only vs H\C package

Well due to the fact I am an idiot I've cross threaded the header bolts and broke one during my Longtube install So I'm going to pull the head and this leaves me at a dilema....

1. I could pull the head and have the bolt pulled and the threads fixed. Since the head is off anyways I'll install a cam while its at the machine shop and one side would be REALLy easy to install the new springs to...

2. I could pull the other head and get some Ported heads from somewhere like Absolute or APeng. Maybe even Combomotorsports if they do a sale...

I have searched and haven't really found a good thread on the cam only vs H\C. Other than the obvious 30-50rwhp Ported heads can give what are the other advantages??? Is it ALOT more power throughout the powerband?

I know the theoretical advantages an engine is an air pump and ported heads flow air in and out better. But my goal would be a nice low 12 sec to high 11 car on Nittos so what 400rwhp?? Alot of cams are doing that easy. If I could meet my goals and have the monster without spending the extra 1000 on heads (1300-250 springs and retainers) that would be ideal...

Any opinions? Suggestions? Thanks!

Bobby
Old 02-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock LS1 heads are really quite good. I've heard it said that stock LS1 heads flow better than ported SBC heads. I've been running mine with TR224, QTP headers and stock heads about 9 months now, and I'm very happy with the results. Besides flowing better, ported heads can also offer higher compression (better for big cam normally aspirated engine) or lower compression (for forced induction.) I'm going to wait for the blower to get new heads.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Oh, BTW, I just got a couple of busted off studs out of some heads. They came out really easy after I welded a nut onto each one!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I think I could get the broken bolt out I just don't know if I can tap the three holes well enough with the head in the car I might try in the morning... I am leaning more towards a cam like a 230/228 on a 112 and just fix the head... I could always get ported heads later when money is a little more abundant..

Man if I wasn't such a moron and waiting until I got some help I'd be driving the car right now!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

by adding heads you can get a smaller, more emissions & driver friendly cam and still make the same power as a big cammed car and with less tuning but cal said it ls1 heads flow great and big power can be made either way it just happens to be easier IMO to make reliable power with a small cam & heads than stock heads and a big cam.

lata
bill
Old 02-22-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See below. Stock heads with smog cam.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:17 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
by adding heads you can get a smaller, more emissions & driver friendly cam and still make the same power as a big cammed car and with less tuning but cal said it ls1 heads flow great and big power can be made either way it just happens to be easier IMO to make reliable power with a small cam & heads than stock heads and a big cam.

lata
bill
agreed 100%. im not a huge fan of extreme cam only setup's, while they are very nice and make killer power i'd pick up a tr224 112 and some 5.3's myself as oposed to an x2/x3, T-rex cam only setup.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't need a huge cam to get yourself into the 11's on DR's. i would say look at the cams in the 224-230 range without a ton of lift (like the cams with over 600 lift). this, is one reason i love my tr230. the lift isn't so bad you're worried about breaking springs everytime you start your car, but it will get you into the 11's easy. i trapped 119 mph cam only with a nearly full weight car (removed swaybar, spare, and jack is all). this was not in even close to ideal weather conditions either (DA was over 1500' that day). that is plenty of power to get you where you want.

i say, save yourself the $1000, get your head fixed, and put in a cam. call up thunder and Futral. see what they recomend. both companys have awesome cams that make great power and should easily get you some 11's. and then, when you get used to the power from the cam, you can allways add heads later
Old 02-22-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Kit I think I'm going to follow your advise. like you said I could always do heads later. TR230 is actually one of the cams I'm thinking off! I would love to trap at 119!!!

Thanks everyone!

Bobby
Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667

lata
bill
I agree. cam set ups tend to be peaker than heads and cam set ups. Most of the time a good heads and cam set up will make more power under the curve than a mega-cam set up with the same peak numbers or even higher peak numbers.

As for heads there are some GMPP LS6 heads listed in the for sale sectionf ro ~$1550 shipped to your door. Might not be a bad time if the right set of heads came your way.