Sponsored by:

cutout effecting sound question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cutout effecting sound question

Hey, do cutouts make your car louder?

LOL, no but seriously, my question is, for those of you that had a full exhaust, and then the only change you made was adding a set of cutouts (before your crossover pipe) Did you notice with the short tubes coming off your exhaust pipe, did it create a "resonator pipe" type effect? meaning, like on stock intake tracts, they have resonator sections and it reduces the noise emmited from the intake.

Just curious for those of you that have 3-4 inches or so tube to your electric cutouts if it slightly reduced the rasp and tone emmited out the tailpipe. (also if it created a slight airy turbulance kinda noise like putting your hand over the tailpipe exit you know?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Teching In

no-one?

I imagine on a super super raspy loud exhaust it would be a little hard to hear the difference, but still. would like to hear any input.

thing is, When i added my tailpipes, i fired my truck up just one time for about 20 seconds to hear it and it had a great sound, then i shut it off and did the cutouts, never drove it before hand, but i still dont hear that same sound even when inside and reving it up like i did.

I imagine the sound waves are hitting those tubes and getting thrown around and not hitting the X pipe at the same time anymore from each bank... i dunno, just thinking.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have mac mids and off road y pipe and corsa. I ran it for a while like that, then added a cutout in the straight pipe before the rearend. With the cutout closed it did change the tone of the corsa. Did act like a resonator and eliminated some rasp, enough I could definitely tell a difference.
Hope this helps lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

actually it does. Tells me im not just crazy and imagining it. Thanks for the reply.