Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHat is a good Head/Cam package?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TSP recommended the Torquer V3 for midrange and top end. And 2.5LS6 heads for a budget. I told them I wanted about 100hp increase. I'm a little leery of a cam over .600 lift though. I'm lucky to put 1000mi on it a year so It probably wouldn't matter too much. I read the V2 and V3 are within 5hp of each other.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything from texas speed...overpriced, under performing heads and cam packages, old technology..

AI ported heads are cheaper and work just as well or better than these overpriced trick flows or overdone prc heads. Plus, the torquer 2 was a great cam....8 years ago. You can get a new cam motion cam that has smaller lift and duration to give a snappier throttle response and better midrange for the street for a considerably lower price. Your choice...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2slow2flurry-ous
I wouldn't buy anything from texas speed...overpriced, under performing heads and cam packages, old technology..

AI ported heads are cheaper and work just as well or better than these overpriced trick flows or overdone prc heads. Plus, the torquer 2 was a great cam....8 years ago. You can get a new cam motion cam that has smaller lift and duration to give a snappier throttle response and better midrange for the street for a considerably lower price. Your choice...
Oh ya? Name three motion cams that fit your description.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

AI heads are not cheaper. They also come with stock valves. I'm not saying one is better than the other but get your facts straight.

Now on to the cam, just because it was designed 8 years ago doesn't mean anything. I love cam motion cams but you go with one with smaller lift and duration your're not gonna make the same power in the same place. You're opinon on cam choice was purely that opinion. what makes buying a cam so hard for people, is that people like you think your opinion on something is what moses wrote on the stone tablets and case closed

That's not how it works and I doubt you'll find any cam motion cam for $355 which is what you can get a torquer for without a friend of the business or several hundered/thousand dollar order discount.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vengeance racing !
Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

While its alright to have an opinion, theres no need to go that far. TSP has great product and they have proven performance parts. They DO have good cams even if some are older, they still sell em because theyre great performer even today. They do have new tech product too BTW.

Lots of other good product out there too; Vengeance, LG stuff, Thunder Racing, Street sweeper, thick performance, Pat g custom cam, Pred z custom cam..there is so much good shiiiittt for the LS1!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm no TSP fanboy, I don't even own any of their products, but bashing on them like that is lame. They help out a lot of people on the boards and have good prices on good products. Plus, don't they hold some sort of record for stock bottom end LS1 in the 1/4?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EPS mild cam high 220 to low 230 range with AFR 205 or similar heads. Not GM cast that are cnc ported. They flow well but loose velocity. My 220cc intake flows about equal to an AFR 205cc intake runner at the low to mid lift. The AFR will have better velocity and chamber design.

I will be moving to a setup like I stated above as soon as the money is available. :-)
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
EPS mild cam high 220 to low 230 range with AFR 205 or similar heads. Not GM cast that are cnc ported. They flow well but loose velocity. My 220cc intake flows about equal to an AFR 205cc intake runner at the low to mid lift. The AFR will have better velocity and chamber design.

I will be moving to a setup like I stated above as soon as the money is available. :-)

They are also over $800 more than a 2.5 LS6 head. Not everyone is looking to get every last bit of power, some are just looking for a nice little bump.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

True dat, you can get a nice converter from Yank, Vigilante or Circle D for less than the price difference between a premium aftermarket casting head and a ported GM casting. If you don't have an unlimited budget (and who does?) then the key to building a good performer is being smart with the way in which the scrilla is distributed.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FTI for you guys talking ET heads. Yes they are great but went out of biz a couple years ago, Then Cary started Performance Induction but was bought out or Cary just moved to Mast so I am sure he has had a hand in their new offerings which look AWESOME though I have never seen a set run yet...
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
FTI for you guys talking ET heads. Yes they are great but went out of biz a couple years ago, Then Cary started Performance Induction but was bought out or Cary just moved to Mast so I am sure he has had a hand in their new offerings which look AWESOME though I have never seen a set run yet...
i didn't have any idea they went belly up.....they still have a website, but it makes sense, cause now i remember reading a couple of threads where their customers were having to wait months for a set of their heads to ship.....i'll have to check out the Mast site, i'm digging that 11* valve angle which would allow a milled head + mid 230's cam with no flycutting
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

People run tens on production castings. TEA, AI, PRC all make a good casting
better (check DAMIAN's threads). AFR hands down best 15 deg. PERIOD !!
Trick Flow says 13 deg. even better (TEA TF's ), MAST with Cary of ETP
goes (wait till they get a load of 11 deg. heads)....moral of this story is:
the LS engine is the BEST 2 valve push-rod engine and you can't go wrong because the cylinder head design moves air AND fuel efficiently.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygnu
vengeance racing !

What he said!!! Our heads/cam packages are PROVEN and priced right!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a budget get some prc 5.3 stage 2.5 heads and a custom cam from eps or ed curtis at fti. mine was specd by pat g and checked at eps. i love it. several cars out here run mid 11's at 115-118 with the prc 5.3 heads. with mild 228-232 cams. great under the curve power.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

just my 2cents, I made good power with some patriot heads and a mild trick flow camshaft. hp and mods are in my sig.