Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I remove water neck from pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can I remove water neck from pump?

I have a 5.3 and I want to try to modify the water neck on the truck style pump so I can use it with the car radiator hose. I saw someone do it once but I cant find the thread again. Or does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it work? thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes I saw a guy on here that had a 1970 El Camino say he did it or was gonna do it but I never saw how or anything . I would imagine maybe some heat on the water pump would help but really should'nt have to do that . It is pressed in but not a really hard press like some pressed fit items . What You really need are some plyers or some type of tool that grabs the neck almost all the way around it then it would cooperate without distortion ,,,,,,,,I bet heat the aluminum with a torch then twist n bang it out with a rubber hammer . What were You gonna do drill a hole in the other location pointing out the front then fill in the hole pointing up ? You can probably find a good used LS1 pump for $20-$40 cause I was thinking about doing that to My truck pump so I could more easily use the LS1 intake ,,,,,,alot of work . Good luck
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

If I use heat on it it might damage any seals that are nearby so im not too sure on that one. My intent is just to either turn it so that it faces the radiator or maybe once its removed to cut it and weld it in the needed position. If I can just rotate it straight that would help a lot.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well that would be kinda tough because the neck is steel and the pump housing is aluminum .
Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it is possible to relocate the hose outlet. Depending if the style of pump. My 5.3 pump was already machined on both the front and top. The top had the hose outlet and the front had a plug pressed in. I just switched the two.
I will post pics tonight.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Well that would be kinda tough because the neck is steel and the pump housing is aluminum .
i was talking about cutting and rewelding the neck only.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by firstgenguy
Yes it is possible to relocate the hose outlet. Depending if the style of pump. My 5.3 pump was already machined on both the front and top. The top had the hose outlet and the front had a plug pressed in. I just switched the two.
I will post pics tonight.
I tried removing it by grabbing onto it with bug adjustable pliers but it just laughed at me. it just made indentations from where i gripped it

ill wait for your pics....
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

pm sent
Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Zipster over in the conversions section has pics of this in his build thread, if I remember correctly he crushed it inside of itself the pipe threaded a new one in the way he wanted it, pretty slick.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

thanks, ill look it up
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroboricua
If I use heat on it it might damage any seals that are nearby so im not too sure on that one. My intent is just to either turn it so that it faces the radiator or maybe once its removed to cut it and weld it in the needed position. If I can just rotate it straight that would help a lot.
All I did was use a rubber hammer and smacked mine around towards the front. I actually did two like this. It wasn't hard at all.

Quick Reply: Can I remove water neck from pump?