Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car started backfiring and running bad...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car started backfiring and running bad...

Is this the cause of my new Shaner S2?

So I installed a Shaner S2 and about 30 miles later I started to notice my car would pop every once in a while during idle. Like a small backfire. It would drive Ok, but never really hammered on it. I then drove about 65 miles on the interstate and when I got off my car was idling at 1,500 rpms for a bit before it would settle down to normal. I then got on the gas a bit and the car would just misfire and stutter. Could this be the cause of the new TB? It ran fine for a bit, I even ran through the gears hard right after I installed it. Could this be from the PCM relearning after I had put some miles on it?

This was on the way to install my new cam by the way. Installed the new cam, reset the PCM and the car was running perfect again. Drove the 65 miles home and still ran perfect. Was that caused by the TB or what? Thanks,

Nick
Old 02-23-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it had a leak somewhere. My buddies car did that when the rubber EGR/manifold gasket had a pinch in it and leaked. Maybe the TB didn't seal good at first?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I dunno, it ran fine for the first 80 miles or so. And the TB wasn't touched during the cam install.