Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another spring install thread..I'm I all set as a DIY?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Exclamation Another spring install thread..I'm I all set as a DIY?!

My car is more than due for new springs; 40K+miles on 918s(not sure)!!!!

1st thing is I dont know the exact spec on my camshaft since they were grinded off by the last owner(older 2005' TR cam peaking at 6200, rough idle). I'm thinking its a TR224..
BUT I do know springs are the single one with a blue line from Comp Cam or Pac; how the hell you can tell the difference since they look alike!!?? I guess by mesuring the spring pressure but since mines are so old that

I'm seriously thinking about getting:
-PSILS1511ML---Beehive, LS1 & LS6, Single, Max-Life, OD 1.290in, ID Outer .630in, Rate 384lbs
OR maybe
-Pac 1518.

I want room to grow because a camswap is in the plan too but later. I'll be going with a cam under 620 lift because its weekend warrior and I drive it on some long roadtrip.

I prefer to run a single because they are lighter than double springs, but I might consider doubles kit if I have to change everything(lock/retainer/etc).

Q;
-Do I have to measure anything with the new springs or just install em?

-Should I replace lock/retainers/stem because of the high mileage?

-lift is unknown, so is it bad running a spring that is overkill?

-Do I need to shim anything?(saw a post from extra cajun telling you need to shim sometimes and talking about coil bind)

*I have the tim's tool*

Last edited by Johnnystock; 05-21-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am planning on doing a spring swap soon and was going to get a spring height micrometer to measure the installed height. Then I can find out if I need to shim. sounds Like you've got everything in order. As far as locks and seals go, most of the kits I've seen include all of those anyway. I would go ahead and get doubles if you can, because I've always thought of them as extra insurance incase one spring breaks, there's another still holding up that valve
Old 05-22-2011, 03:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
I am planning on doing a spring swap soon and was going to get a spring height micrometer to measure the installed height. Then I can find out if I need to shim. sounds Like you've got everything in order. As far as locks and seals go, most of the kits I've seen include all of those anyway. I would go ahead and get doubles if you can, because I've always thought of them as extra insurance incase one spring breaks, there's another still holding up that valve
Extra insurance is great, but I dont like the idea of running a heavier double spring IF not necessary. For most kits, its around a 100$ more for lock/retainers/stem.. PSI single 169$ if you reuse locks/retainers..most doubles are 250-290$ with everything included.

Anyway, it doesnt seem too much of a deal installing new springs, but I'll take my time.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

bump..
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Lunait Gold dual kit is $225 (springs, locators, seals, retainers, and locks)
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

^looks nice^ ..but I went with PSI springs...