Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the next 200k...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default the next 200k...

looks like 200k miles was about all the stocker ls1 had in it.

i know a lot of folks do lq4 or l92 builds from basically truck engines, presumably because they're durable. does the weight difference between that (iron vs aluminum) and the stock ls1 make much difference on handling and that type of thing?

hell, what does gas mileage look like with one of them?

i know you can make a lot of power with the bigger displacement, but believe it or not, i'm generally pretty happy with plain old stock ls1 power (got bolt ons etc, and it's good enough - i have a nitrous bottle if it starts to feel slow)

so what's a good mileage/indestructible long term engine combo look like these days? making extra power would just be an added benefit, not my main focus. am i looking in the right place? the assumption is that since my ls1 has a clank from the bottom end it's probably going to be about toast when i pull it and the time is ripe for a whole new engine..
Old 05-30-2011 | 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

odds are you will not notice the weight up front unless you race the car a lot.

Personally i would run a 224 or 228 cam on 114 lsa and have the heads milled to bump up the compression. It should run great for a long time and will be a good budget combo like that and you actually might increase your gas mileage.
Old 05-31-2011 | 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

lq4 or 9 will add about 60 lbs or so to the front of the car. yes you are adding it in the worst place but ina daily driver or weekend warrior i doubt youll notice it. Relocate the battery to the trunk and itll help offset half that additional weight.
Old 05-31-2011 | 02:56 AM
12 Second Club

You wont notice the weight. Its a worth while replacement. I did one when I spun a bearing in my ls1. Currently I have full bolt ons and it rips good. Definitely has more tourqe than before and believe it or not I get better gas mileage than I used to.i am guessing 30-32 mpg on a long cruise. I have been averaging 23 combined driving and i do get on it a fair amout. My old motor was getting around 19-21 combined.but i also belive my tune and the torque increase have alot to do with it.Car dosent feel like it pulls hard in fact it feels slower but I raced my buddies ta with full bolt ons plus 3.73 gears and we were dead even plus he had the
weight advantage. So I'd say go for it but if you can get a lq9 for cheap that would be better due to compression.
Old 05-31-2011 | 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 180ls1
odds are you will not notice the weight up front unless you race the car a lot.

Personally i would run a 224 or 228 cam on 114 lsa and have the heads milled to bump up the compression. It should run great for a long time and will be a good budget combo like that and you actually might increase your gas mileage.
I basically have this package for sale right now as I am going way bigger.

Quick Reply: the next 200k...