Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Trim Lean-

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Trim Lean-

Have 2 codes being thrown. SES light turns off randomly and stays off for a day or 2. Codes are: P0171: Fuel Trim, Bank 1, system too lean. And P0174 Fuel Trim, Bank 2, system too lean. When I take off and come slow down for a stop sign and push the clutch in, the RPMs drop to about 400 and it gargles kind of and then they jump back to normal idle. I also can not cruise in the car at a steady speed because it will start bucking. Seems to be missfiring.. I had an exhaust leak where the header bolts to the Y pipe (gasket blew out). I replaced it, then it blew out again the next day..? Clogged cat??? The car has the following mods: SLP MAF, Edlebrock shorties with stock Y pipe, Corsa catback, and K&N Filter. What could be going on? Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

Jeremy

EDIT: I have an SLP Predator Tuner that came with the car when I bought it, but its locked on another vehicle. It will read Live data though. Like H02S voltage and Fuel Trim %. SO if Getting some of that info would help i'll go run it

Last edited by MeatL0af; 06-18-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The common causes for those codes/symptoms include: fuel filter blockage/fuel contamination; exhaust leaks upstream of the O2 sensors; or air/vacuum leaks almost anywhere downstream of the MAF.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id look at the MAF or just behind it for a leak...aftermarket MAFs are notorious for being hard to keep in paper tune
Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks alot. I did change the fuel filter already, though. I guess my first fix would be the exhaust leak again. My dilemma is the cat, though. I don't know if it's clogged or what because I've changed that collector gasket once already and it just blew right out again. It was a stock gasket though, so maybe they are just too weak for the big headers. I'm sorta new to LS1's because I used to have an LT1, so I don't know much about the vacuum lines and such. Is there a diagram somewhere I can view?

Jeremy
Old 06-19-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not many vacuum lines on these luckily, the way you are blowing the gaskets out though does sound like your cats might be getting clogged. I know Summit racing has universal cats for around $65 each. To check and see if its your MAF giving you problems you can unplug it (this will throes a MAF code) and set the car into speed density mode bypassing the MAF
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mark21742
not many vacuum lines on these luckily, the way you are blowing the gaskets out though does sound like your cats might be getting clogged. I know Summit racing has universal cats for around $65 each. To check and see if its your MAF giving you problems you can unplug it (this will throes a MAF code) and set the car into speed density mode bypassing the MAF
Yes I've tried disconnecting the MAF and swapping it with my dad's 99 LS1 MAF. I don't know what else to do.. I need that diagram for the vacuum lines.. I'll look for it. In the mean time, if anyone else has some input, that would be great. THanks,

Jeremy
Old 06-19-2011, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

This may not be the fix, but try cleaning the MAF with CRC. I have a SLP lid with the K&N air filter and over time the car started having eratic performance. Cleaning the MAF with CRC Mass Air Sensor Cleaner ($7) fixed me back up in 5 minutes after driving for months with the car having a bad bog.

Quick Reply: Fuel Trim Lean-