Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 camaro z28 *EnGiNe SwAp*

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 camaro z28 *EnGiNe SwAp*

Hello everybody....no homo..but i love this site...its like the only time i can feel free...anywho!

i have a 98 Z28 ls1 with a throw rod, i have a short block (block, rotating assembly, heads, cam, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, timing chain and intake) from a 2000 z28 im replacing it with...i know the rear oil passages have been improved on the 1999 and later model Gen III block from two machined holes to open oil passage area...

Question is will everything from the 97-98 model swap and bolt over to the 99 and later model?

and does anybody have any videos or post about removing the engine from the bottom on grass? i know thats like redneck but..hey..my transmission just went out on my DD
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can put any year LS1 in a 98 car, or almost any other car on the planet for that matter. You'll just need new valve covers and the coil racks.

Why did you use a mixture of upper and lower case letters in "engine swap" ?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 98 too but I kept the 98 block and had it blueprinted with forged rods and pistons. The motor has been really solid. I am using after market (PRC) LS6 heads. I'm not sure about everything exchanging but you might want to get a different set of valve covers - the 2000 heads will have center bolt mounts while the 98 will have peripheral mounting. The 2000 may have a different valley cover that breathes the crankcase from the valley verses the valve covers like the 98. I bought the valve covers and the LS6 valley cover from Pace. If your new block is truly a 2000 you will not have to modify to accept the valley breathing. As far as the intake goes, you will either have to use the 98 manifold or get a later manifold (LS6) and adapt for the EGR which I don't believe is present on the 2000. I picked up an LS6 manifold from SLP that has the EGR fitting - I wouldn't go that way next time in that it's kind of hokey (live and learn). Why bother with the EGR? I live in Ca. and I drive to the track - enuf said.

I pulled my engine from the top and it wasn't too bad. Just make sure you remove the plastic from the lower windshield area (will need to remove the wipers). That should give you enough clearance - you don't even have to remove the hood (everything else in front of the motor though). Pros don't do it this way (at least those with lifts) but I don't have enough garage height to do it from the bottom.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will all bolt right in, as for the harness the only thing I can think of that's different is the coolant temp sensor is 3 pin on 98's and 99+ are 2 pin. Other then that it should be a pretty simple swap.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
It will all bolt right in, as for the harness the only thing I can think of that's different is the coolant temp sensor is 3 pin on 98's and 99+ are 2 pin. Other then that it should be a pretty simple swap.
That's a good observation and you're correct, but simply swapping the 98 sensor into the newer casting head will remedy this situation.

Quick Reply: 1998 camaro z28 *EnGiNe SwAp*