Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing timing chain

hello,can i change the timing chain without dropping the oil pan some.i took out all 14 bolts 3/4 of the way out and the oil pan will not budge.i tapped it with a rubber mallot,and put a 2x4 in the front of the pan and beat down with no movement at all.i know the chain stretched some,but do you think if i change the cam gear it may take some slack out?car has 60,000 miles.chain moves about a 1/2 inch in if you squeeze it in.any help is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b4c346
hello,can i change the timing chain without dropping the oil pan some.i took out all 14 bolts 3/4 of the way out and the oil pan will not budge.i tapped it with a rubber mallot,and put a 2x4 in the front of the pan and beat down with no movement at all.i know the chain stretched some,but do you think if i change the cam gear it may take some slack out?car has 60,000 miles.chain moves about a 1/2 inch in if you squeeze it in.any help is appreciated.

I don't remember if you can or not, but, am thinking that you can. Unbolt the cam sprocket & lower the chain under the crank sprocket & take old chain off. I don't think that a cam gear change by itself is gonna remove any slack regardless of any sprocket tooth wear. Another option might be to install a chain damper. You'll have to drill & tap the block & catch the chips from falling into the pan. Get an LS2 chain dampner & tap the two mounting holes offset toward one side of the chain in order to take out the slack. Again, this can be done if you are unable to remove & replace the existing chain. Option 3 is to pull the engine out of the car.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The only reason you drop the pan is to get the oil pump pickup bolt out because the oil pump is in front of the timing set. You didn't get all the bolts or something if it wont budge.

Quick Reply: changing timing chain