Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some input for Valvetrain...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input for Valvetrain...

I have been spec'ing out what I need for my cam swap. Currently the engine is a completely stock 99 ls1 as far as heads and internals. Im contemplating going with a Tsunami cam from tsp... My question is since i have completely stock heads, will 7.4" pushrods be fine?

Also, the cam has a lift of .648/.609, will I be fine with a spring kit rated to .650? Don't want to max anything out.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have installed several cams and every time I was good to go with the 7.4 pushrod lenght if nothing was changed on the heads. But the only correct answer to your question is to measure for pushrod length once you get the cam installed.

and you will be fine with a 650 spring, but why not go ahead and get some springs that are good to 675 ? Partriot makes a good dual, and if you want one of the best dual springs on the market, go with the Comp 926 dual. Thats what Im running and its just a damn fine spring.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by J1D2warrior
I have installed several cams and every time I was good to go with the 7.4 pushrod lenght if nothing was changed on the heads. But the only correct answer to your question is to measure for pushrod length once you get the cam installed.

and you will be fine with a 650 spring, but why not go ahead and get some springs that are good to 675 ? Partriot makes a good dual, and if you want one of the best dual springs on the market, go with the Comp 926 dual. Thats what Im running and its just a damn fine spring.
The reasoning behind the 650 over the 675, is simply because TSP has them on backorder... and i planned on buying the cam kit they offer.

Reason I am asking about the 7.4's is because the kit comes with pushrods, and i know that the universal length is 7.4 with unotuched heads. I want to buy the kit as one piece without having to go back and forth with shipping the Pushrods back, or trying to sell them in the classifieds and taking a hit on price.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

though if I do get the 7.4's and they arent right I will definitely ship them back or sell... I just want a high probability of getting the correct pushrod length the first time.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Go with the prc eht springs. They are rated to .675 lift and are some of the best on the market.