Sponsored by:

Cam swap in 150k mi engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap in 150k mi engine?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to swap an LS1 into my 98 RS. I have a complete parts car to swap everything from.

What I'm wondering, is if it is safe to put a small cam (TR 224-112) in an engine with 150k miles on it. I will be adding LS7 lifters, LS2 lifter trays, new push rods, trunion upgrade, home ported oil pump, and a set of low mileage 241 heads (20k miles). Only reason for the heads is because the car smokes a little (very little) at times. I think it's a bad valve seal. The heads were given to me a while back and are in excellent shape. They have been sitting for a while, so i just figured I'd put them on the car.

The engine still has great power. Starts on the first hit of the ignition. I can drive the parts car, but it's been wrecked before and whoever fixed it didn't do too great of a job on it. None of the body panels on the front line up correctly, etc.

The LS1 will be put in the car so I can drive it until I finish building the LQ4 I have.

Car will also be getting a Performabuilt Lv2 4L60e when the LS1 goes in.

What would be a good stall to run with the TR224 cam?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not? As long as it is not using a lot of oil, go for it. Most stock LS1's have a little blow by at high rpm anyway. Do you have a catch can? If not, it will definitely help with the blow by because the pcv systems on these cars suck! My friend has over 170,000miles on his LS1. It is cammed with LS6 heads & intake. He has had ZERO problems & it only uses a 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes. Also, try running a quality synthetic 5w40 or 10w40 oil. Sometimes going with a heavier oil in older engines helps to control oil burning. You won't need a huge stall because that cam should have good torque. I'm a M6 guy myself. Just love shift'in!
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Cam swap in 150k mi engine?