Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads

Okay, i'm trying to decide what heads to go with, I have a set of 241s that I was going to send off to Advanced Induction. But I could also buy a set of Trickflow 215s. I'm going with a small 226/232 113 LSA.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although both are good choices, i would get the TFS 215s from a head assembler like Total Engine Airflow so you can look at valve spring and other options. Trick Flow specifies roller rockers if the standard bronze valve guides are used, so if you want to use stock rockers specify powdered metal valve guides. Also consider having them mill the heads to increase compression depending on your application.

Last edited by Darkman; 07-31-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If $$ is not an issue, of course TFS. Otherwise, AI will net you good gains with that size cam or the $$ invested.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the problem with money because I want to take my time with the car and build it right the first time. So if I have to wait another month to get heads then I'll just have to wait.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have herd some nice things about AI. however,it's a stock ported head. The AFR and trick flow heads have a better chamber design,thicher deck and a better cast. I have ran two sets of stock ported heads and after each one i went to a AFR and a trick flow head. each time i made great gains over the stock ported heads that were worth the money spent. You get what you payfor.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mike c.
I have herd some nice things about AI. however,it's a stock ported head...... You get what you payfor.
Thanks! I hope you won't misconstrue this as an attack or attempt to debate. My only intention is to correct some of the marketing misinformation we see repeated online. It true that though we have programs for aftermarket castings, we focus on stock ported heads. Reason being, our CNC'd GM heads will outperform the overwhelming majority of aftermarket heads, and have none of the drawbacks inherent to aftermarket heads (weight, guide wear, heavy components, requiring rockers, etc.). The chamber designs etc. from GM are competitive, and our modifications improve them further. All of us combined don't have the resources GM does when it comes to developing heads. While they have to contend with constraints we can often ignore, the GM castings are still more than competitive with the right work applied.

You do get what you pay for. The casting matters very little insofar as performance and longevity are concerned. It is the machine work applied that makes the difference. When you buy an aftermarket casting, a great deal of your $ spent goes towards castings & parts. When you pay for high end machine work alone, all of your $ goes towards what actually makes a difference.

Would highly suggest you do not buy a cam before buying heads. It has nothing to do with 'flow matching' or other talking points, but physical compatibility. Good luck with your project!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a easy choice...AI FTW. Great company to work with. Phil and Ron are both great guys. At some point in the near future, I will be getting some 243 heads from them.