Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirp from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chirp from exhaust

Hey guys, I recently installed a cam kit with patriot gold springs, titanium retainers and hardened pushrods. Also installed ls2 timing chain. Car also has mac midlengths, ory, and lm2. It now has a chirp from the exhaust that almost sounds identical to a birds chirp. It got alot better after getting the car tuned but still does it pretty bad at cold startup. The chirp almost goes away after the car warms to operating temp.
It is really hard to tell but the chirp kinda sounds in sync with the cam lope and it goes away at any rpm above idle which is set at about 950 rpm or maybe I cant hear it over the exhaust. The weird thing is the engine bay is silent except for the little valve train noise which is expected. I tried jacking up the exhaust in several places to stop it, but it never changed tone or anything. Also retorqued the rockers. I do have small exhaust leaks around the collectors on the headers. Could the leaks cause it?
Is it possible that the chirp is from the exhaust passing by the exhaust valves and is being amplified by my loud exhaust? The car idles at a hair over 40 psi oil pressure and made decent power so it doesn't seem to hurt performance, its just annoying. Any help is greatly appreciated. Posted from my phone so sorry for any grammatical errors.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

i don't know if this is your issue, but mine did this when I had pushrods in it that were too long.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default chirp

My chirps all the time at idle what type of cam setup also we have a friend we race with a 632 cubic inch motor not ls1 and his chirps like mine think type of cam and exhaust but no running issue here with my little 346 going 5.89 in the 1/8 you should be good post cam and exhaust specs
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

could even be a bad header gasket.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blklsxws6
Hey guys, I recently installed a cam kit with patriot gold springs, titanium retainers and hardened pushrods. Also installed ls2 timing chain. Car also has mac midlengths, ory, and lm2. It now has a chirp from the exhaust that almost sounds identical to a birds chirp. It got alot better after getting the car tuned but still does it pretty bad at cold startup. The chirp almost goes away after the car warms to operating temp.
It is really hard to tell but the chirp kinda sounds in sync with the cam lope and it goes away at any rpm above idle which is set at about 950 rpm or maybe I cant hear it over the exhaust. The weird thing is the engine bay is silent except for the little valve train noise which is expected. I tried jacking up the exhaust in several places to stop it, but it never changed tone or anything. Also retorqued the rockers. I do have small exhaust leaks around the collectors on the headers. Could the leaks cause it?
Is it possible that the chirp is from the exhaust passing by the exhaust valves and is being amplified by my loud exhaust? The car idles at a hair over 40 psi oil pressure and made decent power so it doesn't seem to hurt performance, its just annoying. Any help is greatly appreciated. Posted from my phone so sorry for any grammatical errors.
Mine does this too until it warms up. Dont know what it is.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies and im glad im not the only one lol. Cam specs are 232/240 .595 .608 115lsa. Its actually the brute speed blower cam. I installed it in anticipation for the procharger im ordering. Anyway my car is just like yours ryan_ws6. It chirps pretty bad cold then almost completely stops warm. As a matter of fact I had the car out today. I backed it in the garage and even with the sound resonating off the walls, I couldn't hear the chirp. Obviously the car was at full operating temp. Im pretty sure its not the exhaust rubbing anywhere. Idk guys its got me stumped lol
Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

O btw exhaust is 1 3/4" mac midlengths, 3" ory, slp loudmouth 2 catback

Quick Reply: Chirp from exhaust