Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 haters...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, what other forum had the answers?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALSO curious...will be building my street 98Z28 next summer,was thinking of just full bolt ons+cam for 350-375 but how much will 243's/799's run me? only place ive really looked is TSP and theyre CNC'd and $1500? I was hoping for something a bit lower...Is my best just finding used stocks and how much do those typically run?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used untouched...400-600 usually.

You can find used stg 1s for around 700-900.

If it were me.. Buy a stock set and send them to ai when you get the cash.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
ALSO curious.. I was hoping for something a bit lower...Is my best just finding used stocks and how much do those typically run?
I snagged a pair with 40+K miles off of a LS2 GTO for $400 shipped. Heads were straight, just swapped the stock valve springs to beehives and slapped them on to my car along with my EPS cam and voila.

You will find some good deals at the classified sections... just gotta keep your eye on 'em.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Just curious, what other forum had the answers?
He's got this crap up on YellowBullet also. I can't for the life of me figure out what he's trying to accomplish with this thread that couldn't have been done with a little twiddle fingering the search function. No 243 in the world can out power a clean sheet designed after market casting, it's not what they were designed for. Do they make ridiculous power for a factory casting? Absofrigginlutely!

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
ALSO curious...will be building my street 98Z28 next summer,was thinking of just full bolt ons+cam for 350-375 but how much will 243's/799's run me? only place ive really looked is TSP and theyre CNC'd and $1500? I was hoping for something a bit lower...Is my best just finding used stocks and how much do those typically run?
There's a guy on EBAY that always has pretty good deals for LSX stuff. He normally has several sets of 243/799s on there for $350 as well as bare & assembled shortblocks. I've had a couple friends deal with him and he's still got a 100% rating last time I checked.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=BattleSausage;15273730]He's got this crap up on YellowBullet also. I can't for the life of me figure out what he's trying to accomplish with this thread that couldn't have been done with a little twiddle fingering the search function. No 243 in the world can out power a clean sheet designed after market casting, it's not what they were designed for. Do they make ridiculous power for a factory casting? Absofrigginlutely!

i would have to disagree. a set of 243's done by the right guy will out run a few of the aftermarket cnc'd heads. you just have to find the right guy
Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
He's got this crap up on YellowBullet also. I can't for the life of me figure out what he's trying to accomplish with this thread that couldn't have been done with a little twiddle fingering the search function. No 243 in the world can out power a clean sheet designed after market casting, it's not what they were designed for. Do they make ridiculous power for a factory casting? Absofrigginlutely!

There's a guy on EBAY that always has pretty good deals for LSX stuff. He normally has several sets of 243/799s on there for $350 as well as bare & assembled shortblocks. I've had a couple friends deal with him and he's still got a 100% rating last time I checked.

Keep telling yourself that....... I'll stick to my 243's....Stock rockers/valve guides and not made from recycled soda cans...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Mr BattleSausage, now you understand why I started it....comments like yours...did you even read what the people who know had to say ????

Thanks....
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Mr BattleSausage, now you understand why I started it....comments like yours...did you even read what the people who know had to say ????

Thanks....
What part do you not understand. I didn't say there aren't some aftermarket heads out there that a properly done set of 243's won't out power, but a clean sheet head designed specifically for power will always come out on top. I read this entire thread and the one on Yellow Bullet, what part of all the comments that you've received do YOU not understand? It's a great head, capable of making big power but it isn't the top of the food chain and TFS, AFR, etc. all make heads that are capable of making more power. Better valve angles, deck thicknesses, port volumes, etc. are what make aftermarket heads that much better that an already awesome factory head. What do you need, cliff notes or something? There are 4 pages on this very subject I googled within 3 seconds and you have to start another thread on the very same topic, and then try and interject some vast argument that we haven't already seen many times.

Another thing you haven't said is how high are you turning the engine? The guys that are making 500+ aren't just turning 6500 rpm to make that power, and once you spin them that high, internals become a factor. If you're going into the bottom end, most people don't just stick with stock castings. An optimized setup for a 243 vs the same for a good set of aftermarkets and you know who will make more power. Power/HP is another question in itself. I'm not a hater, I'm a realist. Foolish people with lazy questions deserve no breaks, or is that lazy people with foolish questions? Hmmm...

Originally Posted by outkast6991
i would have to disagree. a set of 243's done by the right guy will out run a few of the aftermarket cnc'd heads. you just have to find the right guy
You're right, I have seen awesome results from TEA & Greg Good for starters, but when you spend the time to hand blend CNC'd aftermarket castings...the game then changes. Bang for the buck, 243/799s are awesome though, no doubt about it.

Last edited by BattleSausage; 08-15-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Not trying to start anything.....just wanted opinions on how far the 243 could be pushed ?? Horsepower wise whats the most thats been done 400 cubes or less in a N/A environment with the 243's ?? For $1400 I can have a head that will compete with 95% of the builds and that is with the cost of the head. No custom vavle train, just trunnion upgrade to factory rockers and some of the lightest valves already in the head.

Like I said dollar for dollar there unbeatable. Again I dont understand why people throw $2500+ at a set of heads that make 15-20 more hp and maybe .1 in the quarter. Hell if the $2500 is burning a hole in your pocket there are better areas of the build to throw it at. How bout a RXT clutch and a 150 shot. Then you'd be flying.

Thanks...the hole idea behind the thread was to find the limits of the 243, I search and found nothing like that !!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
.Thanks...the hole idea behind the thread was to find the limits of the 243, I search and found nothing like that !!
There is a reason, because those in search of finding the max power of any given combo and already willing to spend the money you are talking about, are stepping up to an aftermarket head for that extra ~$500 in 99.9% of case I would venture to say. With the improved valve angles, deck thicknesses, port shapes, etc., the aftermarket head offers so much more potential. You're spending roughly the same cost on a full tilt set of 243s to extract almost the same power from a generic cnc'd aftermarket casting. In most cases, you can take that aftermarket head and do further porting and blending and pick up 20-30 cfm or more which means a lot when you're searching for maximum power. It's your choice and it seems like you already made the decision so why are you continuing to question it?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Haha...ok...I understand the benifits of an aftermarket casting, throw deck thickness out the window for this application. I'm well aware that TFS and AFR make outstanding heads but when it comes to bang for the buck "street cars" well....All I'm saying is most guys on here are on somewhat of a budget and I feel they are duped into the whole aftermarket heads deal when a set of 243's will make the power for a third of the cost. A full tilt CNC job with amazing numbers and track results can be had for $800-1000 bucks plus $400-600 for the head if you don't already own them ( yes I own mine so I have $800+shipping, no custom rocker ect...and a ultra light valve train). A CNC'ed 243 (400+800=$1200) will out run a out of the box TFS or AFR's ($1500-2500).

Yes the aftermarket seen is legit, ETP, All Pro, C5R ect....but for a small bore N/A setup I feel the worked 243's ($800 CNC job) will hang, especially when you start adding up dollar per hp.

I will agree that you can go further with aftermarket heads but if you knocking down 480+ and a little (200) spray with 243's you would be hard pressed to miss that 15 hp you left on the table. That you could have picked up for another 2grand .

And yes Greg is probably the best but he is deffinetly not under a grand. Mike Tiedaman is also the **** but for excellent results on a budget AI, TEA and WCCH are ecellent choices. Throw in a great cam guy (Ed Curtis, Geoff@EPS, Erik K.) to help with the package and he be banging the buck to death.

Look I'm not looking to argue with you I was truely after opinions on what people felt was the cealing for the 243's. It sounds like you understand the head game but a lot of people are still trying to figure out a budget friendly combo and I feel the 243's get no respect.

Thanks......
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of these results you speak of with the 243s will not be had with a CNC program. You need them hand ported by one of the 4-5 best guys in the country to make them perform with an AFR or TFS head. And NONE of those guys are cheap. PLEASE, stop it with the CNC numbers you throw around... By the time you get enough work into a 243 head to outperform the aftermarket stuff, you've could have SAVED money going aftermarket
Old 08-15-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Listen, I will argue that they are the best bang for the buck head under 400 cubes. Please do me favor and call TEA and ask them yourself. They have a new program thats kickin ***. Ask Mike his opinion, he does not have a side. He just sells CNC packages reguardless of what head it is. But he does now his **** when it comes to a well performing head.

Ask him to compare $ per head and what the return (flow, cross section, velocity) is.

They are what they are....the best bang for the buck.

And seriously...call him...I want to know what he tells you.

Thanks....
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Are you trying to do some indirect sponsoring for TEA or something? The same question was posed in the other thread. You keep bringing M Stewart into this like he has something to do with it. I'm sure he wants his name constantly thrown around he would be in here posting. You have your answer from numerous people. Stop being an attention *****, go buy the damn heads, and post up your results so maybe the next time you actually use the search function, you'll have at least one set of results you can relate to...your own. BTW, I don't know where you get your pricing from but getting a set of CNC'd 243s from TEA is gonna cost you about $1450 once you pay for the port job and shipping to and from them. Not to mention the initial cost of the heads if one doesn't already have them. Go crawl back under the hood will you

Last edited by BattleSausage; 08-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Haha...ok I was wrong on the price. $1330+ shipping

No Im not associated with them in any way. Just wanted past along great head results to fellow GM guys.

Attention *****...I think I have 20 threads started in 2 years, hardly the case.

And you guys wondered why its called 243 haters....

Thanks....
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Yes he is trying to start something. That was the whole point of him making this thread. It's almost considered trolling IMO.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

i am glad he started the thread. i am pretty decided with the research i have done and what i want to do "YET" there are times when i question myself or want to pick others brains on their thoughts and opinions to ensure i make the best possible decision i can.

i think perhaps that is the op's situation. understandable to me and wise to get others opinions.

i also thank studderin for answering as he did.....that is awesome to share your experiences without being overly critical......that's class dude......
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Strictly speaking and just judging by the title of the thread, it was a grab at attention. The information is/was already there, not to mention he already had engine builders/racers on the bullet answer his questions also. He got what he needed on the first page, no reason to continue.

Quick Reply: 243 haters...