Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 parts compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 parts compatibility

I have an opportunity to strip parts from a 5.3 from a 2003 suburban for pretty cheap. My question is, what from this motor will swap over? (the block hydro-locked and snapped a con rod, so i'm pretty sure the block, rods pistons are useless to me).

I'm looking at the following:

heads
valve covers
rocker arms
valey cover (is this the same as a 2k1 ls1 or is it updated)
timing cover

Anything else you all think i should grab? It's an entire pullout including sensors...etc.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Heck I'd grab everything You can ,,,,,,I don't know about valley cover but it prob has the updated timing chain , the LS2 front cover and most everything is the same parts as LS1 , rockers, lifters, coils, fr and rear covers , valve covers, sensors , balancer n water pump different ,,,,,,,
Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I think i'm goign to get everything minus the intake, block, crank, rods and pistons. Debating on weather or not to take the heads, sounds like it's going to cost as much as a brand new set to get them rebuilt/cnc ported.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bpittman
Thanks, I think i'm goign to get everything minus the intake, block, crank, rods and pistons. Debating on weather or not to take the heads, sounds like it's going to cost as much as a brand new set to get them rebuilt/cnc ported.
I paid $1600 to have my 862's hand ported and polished, all new valves, springs, retainers etc. That's quite a bit cheaper than several of the aftermarket heads. It all depends on what's in your budget. A lot of people pay $400 and pick up a set of 243's, bolt them on and go. I would grab them if it were me....never know, you may decide to resell them down the road. If you get them cheap enough maybe you'll make a buck or two.