Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a little advice !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little advice !!!

i have a forged 347 that i broke a ring on the number 3 cylinder and was getting oil on my plug and it was smoking pretty good. i pulled the piston and rod out of that cylinder and the one ahead of that one and i was gonna rering that cylinder cause i bought a new piston for that cylinder and put it back together. the cylinder walls look perfect but my question is should i just put it back together like that or pull the motor all the way out and send it to machine shop and have it freshen up ?? the motor has around 3500 miles on it now .. thanks for any advice
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Launching!

im no expert but the rings form their own bond in a matter of speaking to the wall. so i would hone it, otherwise the ring wont seat. also, what caused the ring to fail?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

i am gonna say it came from a nitrous problem. i can still see the cross hatch marks on the cylinder
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Launching!

still wouldnt be a bad idea to hone it. if the ring doesnt seat youll burn oil. should that be the case youll be pulling it back apart again
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes just a quick light hone should be plenty , even though You see hone marks does'nt mean there has'nt been some wear , that's what seating the rings is is a little wear . An LS engine with 80,000 or 100,000 miles still has visible hone marks .
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Launching!

iv built countless motors and the LS is by far the toughest, if taken care of. in this case if u were not beating on it and just driving it easy then id just put a new SET of rings in that piston. check/clean your plug in that cylinder and drive it. after about 50 miles check the plug, if its oily then id re-hone it. If not i wouldn't worry to much about it. no need in spending all that time an money if its not necessary.

also, when u pull the piston out u can take a BLACK LIGHT and shine in the cylinder to check for scratches made by the ring. the black light make it easier to see the scratches in some cases.

hope this helps!