Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While I'm in here, I might as well...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default While I'm in here, I might as well...

To make a long story short, I'm pulling the motor out of my 02 Z28 to take care of a problem with the bottom end. Since I'm in here already, what are some parts I should look at replacing/upgrading? I'm on a fairly tight budget, but I want to make sure that she'll run reliably.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what was the problem with the bottom end?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still haven't figured it out, actually, i've got another thread on that. something really solid stopping the crankshaft from turning all the way over.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyKrauss
still haven't figured it out, actually, i've got another thread on that. something really solid stopping the crankshaft from turning all the way over.
i would really wait to see what the bottom end problem was before suggesting what to upgrade,,, might need a whole new bottom end (and if thats the case might be time to bore and stroke and then of course you will need all of the supporting components...
as far as your top end is concerned there are a few basic and common upgrades,,, ls7 lifters and ls7 lifter trays, new harmonic damper, ls2 or better timing chain, new oil pump (ls6 or meling), new springs and seals, belt tensionsers (main belt and AC belt), new belts and pulleys. im sure there is alot of other things im leaving off but thats the gist of it.

find out what is wrong with the bottom end before you go buying stuff... you might be building a bored out stroker, which sux for the wallet but is awesome for the ego