Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in springs

I just recently replaced my springs to the Crane duals. I haven't had the car above 2500 rpm. I thought I had read somewhere before about heating the springs or not revving them too high for a certain amount of miles. Please reply if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay under 4k RPM's for 2-3 cycles of heating up and cooling down. I did 5 cycles just to be safe. Then always wait for the engine to warm up before getting on the gas, stiff springs don't like being cold. When my car is cold I usually shift under 2500 RPM, but I'm positive you can go higher.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's more a matter of heat cycling them a couple times after you install and reassemble. You just want to bring the engine up to operating temp, shut it down and let it cool completely.. about 2-3 hours. I usually do the sequence twice, but I know several instances of reliable cars that didn't fuss.

Also, I'm not sure how much cam you're running in that thing, but if it's something 224+ duration, 560+ lift, it's also a good idea to let the engine warm up before you really stand on it. You never want to beat up a cold spring with a serious cam... risk of breakage increases significantly.

I would disregard any break-in period suggestions on springs. Race engines get stomped on at the first green light they see. Just make sure you cycle them once or twice after install, and give them time to warm up EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE before you get into it too hard.