Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more try on my last post...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the area under the curve isnt all that similar... Also you can not compare an M6 to an A4 on the dyno.... Also the TEA headed car has a 12 bolt with a rather steep gear in it fwiw....
Old 03-11-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for pointing that out. It is hard to find actual dyno sheets to see. I just wanted to see what I could find.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Thanks for pointing that out. It is hard to find actual dyno sheets to see. I just wanted to see what I could find.
I just ordered the F10 on a 114 from Futral last week, Ill post my graph when we get it in and running. Im hoping for 380 without a pulley and LS6
Old 03-12-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be great! It looks like we have alot of the same mods, so that would really be a pretty good comparison. Good luck n hitting that number. Is that he cam FMS told you to go with for that stall, or did you decide on that?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be great! It looks like we have alot of the same mods, so that would really be a pretty good comparison. Good luck n hitting that number. Is that he cam FMS told you to go with for that stall, or did you decide on that?
The stall was in the car when I bought it. I will be going with an SS4000 and 3.73 as soon as the cash comes in. The 228 makes great power through out the powerband and really shines above 3k rpm so pretty much any mid-size stall will be fine. The VIG 2800 should be fine with this cam (as it seems it acts like a larger stall anyway). Talk to Allan at FMS for your specific needs/final set-up and he will let you know.

My car is basically a street car, occasional track use. I wanted a little more power than your typical 224 114 swap but I wanted to retain as much drivability as possible. I also did not want to spin the stock bottom end as high as some of the larger or comprable cams that are out there. From most of the feed back from the board, and from talking to Allen himself, I chose the 228. I was going to go with the 226 but he said it would have pretty much the same drivablity characteristics as the 228 or even some competitor's 224 for that matter.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was really informative. I really appreciate what you had to say. That is pretty much what I am looking for, great drivability, but still a nice upgrade from the cam I have now without having to turn a real high rpm. This cam with that combo of stall/gears should be really fun to drive My big concern has been getting too big of cam for this stall, so I am glad you addressed that. It seems everyone considers this a 3200 anyway, has that been your experience with its' use? I want more of a useful street powerband than a racing powerband, so this looks to be about right.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was really informative. I really appreciate what you had to say. That is pretty much what I am looking for, great drivability, but still a nice upgrade from the cam I have now without having to turn a real high rpm. This cam with that combo of stall/gears should be really fun to drive My big concern has been getting too big of cam for this stall, so I am glad you addressed that. It seems everyone considers this a 3200 anyway, has that been your experience with its' use? I want more of a useful street powerband than a racing powerband, so this looks to be about right.
Yeah, it seems to act more like a 3200-3400 stall. The guy who did my dyno tune basically said the same thing when he was adjusting it. I like the convertor for what it is. The only thing I dont like is its kick on the highway (still have a hard time keeping up with the M6's).

I think however, the SS series stalls from Yank are wonderful street convertors because of there effeciency. They mph better, and on average cut better 60's than some of the other brands out there. They also pull very well on highway rolls. Basically, they allow you to run a larger stall, without some of the hassels and lack of drivabilty of a pure race oriented 'vertor. But its really all about balance for me.

If my car wasn't my DD it would be 4.10's,Yank pt4400, and one of those big *** T-rex cams. There is no way I could tolerate that daily driven though. Ill take a 20-30hp loss from a cam that has no low or mid range (i can make that up with the gas later) to get a nice usable powerband thats fun yet still rocks most cars. Ill also put up with a little bit of slack in driving around town for a stall that does pretty much everything well such as the SS3600-4000. But thats just me. Take Care. And good luck with your choices.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it will certainly be a worthwhile swap over your current 222/222 cam. I picked up 8 RWHP with our 228R cam over our 224R cam. It still retains excellent streetability and makes great power. I made 388 RWHP locked with stock heads through an A4 with our 228R camshaft. I also ran a best of 11.41 @ 116.85 MPH on a 1.53 60' with the 228R and stock heads and all of the bolt-ons. I LOVED the cam, but the 231/237 needed to be tested in someone's car.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. I ran this cam personally for over six months in my SS, so I can give you some great feedback on streetability, idle quality, etc. I consistently knocked down 23.5 MPG doing 75 MPH with 3.73's and the a/c blowing cold with this cam.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 03-12-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
look @ Verbs post on his 50rwhp problem and check out the graph he posted. The graphs peak ALMOST the same, but from one cam to another theres a HUGE difference under the curve.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry bro, didnt mean to kick ya in the nuts!!! You will get it figured out soon enough
Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Revalation222--thanks again for the insight, I will be watching for the some numbers. I agree with what you had to say about this stall, it is nice for the size it is. I have been reading up about the SS series, and it would deffinately be the one I would get if I was going to upgrade, but for the time being I think I am going to stick with this one. Haven't started racing enough to warrent a bigger one...yet

Trevor, thanks for the response. I just have a few quick questions for you at this time. Do you recall any numbers for that cam on a A4 with PP 5.7 S2 heads on an A4? Jason mentioned working on a 229 cam, any details on that?

Last edited by BoneSS; 03-12-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see alot of people having some degree grinded into their FMS cams, can you have this done with the TPS cams?

Quick Reply: TSP 228 vs F10