Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I switch to synthetic....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Sure...switch to synthetic oil....if you want to completely throw money in the garbage and have ZERO added protection over non-synthetic.

In another 5-10 years people will start to realize this. I'm just blown away how many people still fall for this marketing scam.

Personally, I have 164,000 miles on my FULLY BUILT stroker engine, and its running like a charm still. 20w50 cheap Castrol GTX non-synth.
I respectfully disagree with you sir.

Synthetic oil is a better lubricant, lasts longer and has a higher breakdown temperature. Ever wonder why you can't seat piston rings with synthetic oil?

I'm happy you've gone so long on dino oil and I'm sure many can also-with proper oil and filter change intervals.

A few months ago, I very badly overheated my car-I had to drive it off a highway with no coolant. The temp gauge was pinned and it took almost an hour until the block cooled enough to not spit water out as I poured it in. So hot in fact, half the ignition coils went bad.

No damage, knocking, smoke in the exhaust, the engine still runs perfect.

Had I used conventional oil, it would've been roasted to ash and my bearings would've been wiped. Aside from breaking in a freshly built engine, I'll NEVER use dino oil.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 10-24-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I respectfully disagree with you sir.

Synthetic oil is a better lubricant, lasts longer and has a higher breakdown temperature. Ever wonder why you can't seat piston rings with synthetic oil?

I'm happy you've gone so long on dino oil and I'm sure many can also-with proper oil and filter change intervals.

A few months ago, I very badly overheated my car-I had to drive it off a highway with no coolant. The temp gauge was pinned and it took almost an hour until the block cooled enough to not spit water out as I poured it in. So hot in fact, half the ignition coils went bad.

No damage, knocking, smoke in the exhaust, the engine still runs perfect.

Had I used conventional oil, it would've been roasted to ash and my bearing would've been wiped. Aside from breaking in a freshly built engine, I'll NEVER use dino oil.
Thank God I'm wearing boots, it's getting thick in here..
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

178k miles and driven hard as hell. Mobil 1 synthetis high mileage 10w-40. No problems ever. Knock on wood. Im so confident in the motor im about to put on some heads and cam it.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
Thank God I'm wearing boots, it's getting thick in here..
You're not very well educated or informed are you? Check back with us in 5 to 10 years. BTW, the Earth is NOT flat.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
You're not very well educated or informed are you?
I was going to say the Exact same thing!!
Synthetic is substantially better than conventional!! Professional testing and a multitude of (actual) personal results have proven it beyond a shadow of a doubt!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I recently switched to BG synthetic 530. So far am impressed with how its holding up. I absolutely love there chemical line for fluid changes so figured I would give it a shot.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Dainius, welcome to LS1tech!

What is BG oil?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Mobil 1 in anything and everything that takes oil. Hell I like it so much I have a shot here and there just to keep the arthritis away!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Launching!

I am very well educated, the earth is not flat, but your brain is.
Most of you guys drive like little old ladys and talk crap.
Some are legit, most are not.
You don't need a syn to be successful with any motor.
You need to be intelligent and not some sheep.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

It looks like we should have clarified...you are not educated on the FACTS (and results) about synthetic vs. conventional oil!!! You are absolutely correct...you don't need syn to be successful with any motor. But, it will definitely last longer and perform (slightly) better!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

And FWIW synthetic is not marketing. Actually being in the industry the only oils I actually really see marketed is Mobil 1 and RP, occassionally Redline. Doing work on so many cars I see the results of using conventional and a good synthetic, its always easy to tell the difference. Like I said there is really no reason not to run Mobil 1 at minimum. LS6 427, after a rebate Im paying the same if not less than you do. The filter is irrelevant because we would use the same filter lets just say. Autozone has 6 qts of your oil for 28 bucks, if I were to go get some 15W-50 Mobil 1 after a rebate Id be paying less than that (26ish for 5 qts-15 buck mail in rebate plus an extra qt for 7 bucks). Comes out to under 20 for 6 qts of good oil. Then like I said add on a filter of your choice.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Heya paul thanks for the welcome! Bg is a line of chemicals and fluids that we use at the shop I work at. They range from brake fluid flushes to differential fluids. I've been working with them for so long I decided to try there oil. I'm not sure where they all are located but go to bgprod.com and might be able to find a shop near you to test there products.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Sure...switch to synthetic oil....if you want to completely throw money in the garbage and have ZERO added protection over non-synthetic.

In another 5-10 years people will start to realize this. I'm just blown away how many people still fall for this marketing scam.

Personally, I have 164,000 miles on my FULLY BUILT stroker engine, and its running like a charm still. 20w50 cheap Castrol GTX non-synth.

Im with ls6 on this.
I usually just get conventional pennzoil 5w30 every 3k miles. I just have a hard time believing I should switch to synthetic. I like the idea of changing my oil every 3k and not 5k. I also believe its more of a marketing scam.

Do you think they sit back in a big leather chair smoking a tabacco pipe emphasizing on why their so educationaly elite with their Princeton education on motor oils? LOL!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Launching!

I can almost see it... LOL
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

If you think Royal Purple is the best oil out there you really need to educate yourself. Royal Purple is nothing more than a marketing company that buys and resells oil repackaged. THEY DO NO NOT develope oil or anything...its a marketing scheme to lighten you smart guys wallets.

Sorry dood but those are the facts.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

pennzoil oil, vavoline syn 5w-30 or 5w-40 every 3k and k&n oil filter
Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Correct me if I'm wrong but I used to love royal purple until I found out they did not want to pay for the individual marketing licenses for each weight and isn't recognized by the AOCA. Its been awhile since I checked but this may have changed by now.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Uggghhh if you want to keep using RP go right ahead man but I've seen first hand what it does to motors with some abuse and its enough to make me stay far away that and its like 9 bucks a qt.There have been multiple tests that shows royal purples antishearing properties all but dissipate completely after 2500 miles. idk about you but I dont want to change oil every 2500 mi that costs 9 buck per qt.

You can pretty much buy and other good oil like amzoil or any other synthetic for cheaper than that. Personally I use vr1 10w30 because of its higher zinc content (1360ppm instead of the norm 900ish) or pennzoil ultra depending on which ones available that week.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Launching!

VR1 is a good oil and I've used it in one of my bikes for a number of years.
The VR1 racing oil is nasty for CATs though.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always run Mobil1 5w-30 and filter to match. I change my oil every 4000 miles and its still slightly gold. So why use anything else?

Quick Reply: Should I switch to synthetic....