Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid roller cam questions... need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003 | 10:22 AM
REM
Teching In

Default Solid roller cam questions... need help

So I've decided not to wait on the solid roller cam. My car's wussy idle and power are pissing me off more and more everyday. What all (and I mean everything) do I have to replace and what do I have to replace it with to make this setup work reliably and safely? I'll be doing the work myself, so any tips are also more than welcome. I'm guessing I need a new cam (duh), springs, lifters, rockers, and I'm blank now. Help!!!

Thanks guys
Ryan
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Solid roller cam questions... need help

You pretty much covered it...

Cam, adjustable rockers (I use T&D shaft rockers), solid lifters, and appropriate valvesprings. You'll probably also need a taller aftermarket valvecover or a valvecover spacer to clear the larger valvetrain parts. I have the ARE fabricated aluminum valvecovers, and I'm very happy with them.

I think your best bet would be to contact one of the vendors that has experience with solid roller cams, and let them help you put a package together. Futral Motorsports and Thunder Racing come to mind as two shops that have done a lot of solid roller stuff.
Old 01-05-2003 | 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

The cam choice will dictate what kind of springs you have to use... The wilder the lobes, the more spring pressure required to keep everything under control. A double spring will probably be required.

The springs in my car have ~225lbs close, and close to 600lbs open pressure.
Old 01-06-2003 | 12:11 AM
REM
Teching In

That looks like what I'm going to have to do. I'm not sure if the springs I ve are good enough, so I'm going to have to call Katech and find out if their gear can handle the solid roller setup. This is taking a little more research that I thought, but it's better than jumping into it not knowing exactly how it all has to go together.

Ryan