Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 oilpan

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default c5 oilpan

I guess this is the best place for this. I'm looking for some pictures and measurements of the C5 oilpan. I know the pan breaks down into 2 pieces so I was wondering if I can get pictures of the baffles and such and pretty much everything inside. Reason I need this info. I am swapping a LS1 into a S10 pickup and I'm gonna have major major frame clearance issues and the only way I can get around hacking the poor frame to nothing I have to use the pan off a 5.3 pickup. The problem with that is this. I still have to notch the frame alittle for the 5.3 pan and the pan will sit about 2 inches below the frame crossmember. My truck is dropped 4/5 so having a low slung oil pan is a no-no for sure. So I have to cut about 2-2.5 inches off the bottom of the pan for it to clear. Well, I did the math and I would lose about 2-2.5 quarts of oil capacity, NOT GOOD! The only thing I can think to do to get around this issue is I'm gonna reuse my stock HD 3 core 4.3 radiator which has a built in oil cooler so I will hookup the oil cooler to the engine to get about .5 quarts of oil capacity back and I can get about 2 quarts by having a kickout welded onto the passenger side of the motor and having a small one welded onto the driver's side being a quart of oil is only 57.75 cubic inches in volume so with a 6" long pan I only need a 3x3x6 kickout to get just one quart back so it shouldn't be a huge problem in that area to get it all back without clearance issue. The problem I see with this is the possibility of the oil pump pickup running dry when severe laterial loads are placed on the truck, "I like to autocross it when I can" so this does deeply concern me being widening a 5.3 pan was never something the GM engineers considered when designing these things and the possible laterial load problems that could occur. If anybody can help me out that would be greatly appreciated. If somebody wishes to offer me a demo pan then please PM me and we can talk about it. I don't need it perminant like so I could send it back to you if you wished, I just need measurements and pictures to get an idea. Here are some pics of somebody else's truck with a LS1 and a 5.3 oil pan so you can get an idea of the gravity of the problem I'm dealing with. Thanks.
Jason
Attached Thumbnails c5 oilpan-dcp_0008.jpg   c5 oilpan-dcp_0009.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 2001 and newer are 2 piece. The older ones are 1 piece.