Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Question about LQ4 Build

Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Question about LQ4 Build

I'm considering doing an LQ4 with L92 heads for an engine swap. My question is about the cam. I saw a budget build where they used gm's hot cam and made around 450hp. Are there any cams, for this setup, that will allow me decent hp without interfering with valve clearence or beating my engine to an early death? any info or suggestions would be awesome, Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bunch of different cams will work. There are lots available that are way better than the GM hot cam. What are you wanting for idle and is this a daily driver? Manual or automatic?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm actually considering/planning that very thing.

450whp? or 450 at the engine? was it the carb'd engine setup? I've seen a few articles where they get really impressive numbers with GMPP carb/Lsx intakes. The bad news is that those numbers are optimistic for those of us who are keeping the standard fuel injection setup.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I want a fairly smooth idle. I don't want to shake to death or die out at red lights. T-56 transmission, not a daily driver, but i still want streetable. The build I read was WHP, and they were using a carb set-up. There are just so many cams to choose from, I don't even know what to get. I'm doing more research, as my knowledge is limited, but I know alot of you guys have first hand experience. I'm also trying to way out my options in terms of fuel injection vs carb.

Search this Thread