Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing #7 valve springs HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing #7 valve springs HELP

Need some help guys. I am struggling like a **** to get the #7 valve springs changed. I had an easier time with number 8 to be honest. Is there some sort of trick or do I just need more patience (spent one hour already).
I have the More valve spring tool, 10" ext for my ratchet, long *** breaker bar, and hood is off car. I think the problem might be that the tool is starting to deteriorate. I just need to get these last two and I am done though. Of course, I'll spend forever cleaning out the bits of aluminum on the head from this tool.
Any tips on getting the locks in? The rest are finished and I am dying to drive the thing.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Launching!

I don't have a remedy for you but feel your pain. This is the reason I picked up the larry tool! Someone help this guy out!
Old 03-12-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can tell you is have patience and keep at it.

Sloppyrob: What is the larry tool?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's the tool you can make yourself out of a piece of steel. I forgot the dimensions, but it's basically a flat piece of steel with an opening on the edge for the valve stem to go through and a hole towards the middle for the rocker arm bolt. This tool is very easy to use. I was also going to buy that tool that uses a ratchet, but you have to keep pressure on it for the spring to be compressed, unlike the homemade tool. Maybe take a break and go back to it once you're rested up.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its just takes a while to get the rear ones installed, it took me like 2 hours to get all of mine done.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Do a search for larry tool.......

Taken from larry's post

I am offering an easy to use valve spring install/remove tool. The tool comes with an internal socket head stud for easy of wrenching and a grade 8 nut.

I currently have plenty of tools in stock. (2/25/04)

Unfortunately I have had to increase the shipping cost to $10 so that all tools will go out with tracking. This is resulatant in the number of guys reporting their tool lost in shippiing. Sorry for the additional cost! Total shipped is now $35.00.

Following are pics of the tool and with the tool installed on head.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/valvespringtool.jpg
Old 03-12-2004, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

So I assume that continuing to tighten that tool will force the spring down? That would make the contact of the nut and tool not level. But looks to work fine in the pics.

I'll keep after the #7. MAybe my wife will lend a hand. I had been doing these by myself. Ouch.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to get one of those tools that you tighten from the top...has like a star head that tightens.....ur basic overhead spring tool...those seem to work best for the tight spots.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you are trying to put the locks on put a little dab of grease on the inside of them. that will help the to stick to the valve a little bit while you release the spring compressor.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Larry's tool works great. The tool is well made and beautiful in its simplicity. It literally takes me 1-2 minutes to change any of the springs with this tool. It really makes placement of the locks easy even on #7 & #8. I have tried the More tool and the "clamp on/screw down" type tool and there is no comparison.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Take the spring out and pull the valve up as far as you can get it. Hope it stays up and don't touch it when you put the spring back on. Compress the spring and put one lock in...If the other one won't go in, spin the one that's in around to the other side and install the second one in the same place as the first one. Be carefull and take your time...You'll get it.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
the larry tool!
Precisely. I just used it two days ago and it worked flawlessly and effortlessly.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the advice guys! I got it on last night. now plan to finish it up and have it running this morning
Old 03-13-2004, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IrateTA
Precisely. I just used it two days ago and it worked flawlessly and effortlessly.

I saw that picture of the Larry tool two days ago and thought it was a cool idea. So today knowing I had to remove the 987's and put the Crane 832's in for the T-rex, I decided to make that tool based on the picture above. I gotta tell you, it was easy to make and it's the best damn spring compressor I've ever used. I used the standard tool first, it was the same PITA that I remembered from last time I did it. Then I switched to the home made Larry tool and it was an absolute dream in comparison to the standard tool. If you don't want to make your own, the larry tool is worth every penny of the $35 he charges...

Dan