Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 burning oil after WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 burning oil after WOT

so i have an LS1 with 40-50k miles, occasionally after a few hard pulls the car will start to leave clouds of oil smoke. i think it's blow-by, the plugs are wet with oil and there seems to be oil in the intake manifold.

example scenario: pull to top of 4th gear, clutch into neutral, come to stop, if i rev the motor to 4k i will get a nice puff of smoke and then it will go away until the next pull.

any reason my low mile LS1 is doing this? i was thinking a catch can or new PCV would fix it. i am new to LS1's and have never seen anything like this before on other motors i've worked on.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are notorious for oil in the intake due to a poor pcv system, GM attempted to address this problem with the ls6 style valley pcv system. If you have oil in the intake, YOU WILL BENEFIT from running a catch can. It is worth every penny, Keep the oil out of the intake, and your engine will be much better off. During Wot you are moving alot of air through the intake, If there is oil in it, then it will transfer to the chamber with the air, and then get burned with the air and fuel, which can cause smoke. A ton of us guys run catch cans, thats the reason. If your car is a 98 or 99 you have the worse pcv system. a ton of guys with the ls6 style still run catch cans. It really is a common issue on these engines. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RARON455
These cars are notorious for oil in the intake due to a poor pcv system, GM attempted to address this problem with the ls6 style valley pcv system. If you have oil in the intake, YOU WILL BENEFIT from running a catch can. It is worth every penny, Keep the oil out of the intake, and your engine will be much better off. During Wot you are moving alot of air through the intake, If there is oil in it, then it will transfer to the chamber with the air, and then get burned with the air and fuel, which can cause smoke. A ton of us guys run catch cans, thats the reason. If your car is a 98 or 99 you have the worse pcv system. a ton of guys with the ls6 style still run catch cans. It really is a common issue on these engines. Hope this helps.
I agree a 100% with this statement. A catch can will be your friend here.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
I agree a 100% with this statement. A catch can will be your friend here.

Sorry for the jack but JPH good to see you on here again I respect your experience and you always share good insightful knowledge
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Sorry for the jack but JPH good to see you on here again I respect your experience and you always share good insightful knowledge
I try and have had time lately. Thank you for the nice comment.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just got a catch can not sure exactly how to install it any pics
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM

thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: LS1 burning oil after WOT