Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan capacity

Hey guys, whats happening. I don't post much as you can see as i make pretty good use of my search button, i like reading, and the stickies are great. But i was wondering if anyone could give me a little insight as to how much i can shave off the bottom of my h2 oil pan that i will be putting on my 5.3 thats in my 73 vega. I would like to be able to take about 2-2.5 in off the sump to give me some ground clearance. But at the same time im alittle concerned about oil starvation. Little background on my project, 73 hatch back, 5.3 to get started in the ls world, later going to a 6.0 or maybe turbo the 5.3. T5 until funds allow a T56(t5 will break i know). 373 posi. Retaining the truck's EFI. Just a fun little street car that can get me to work on the nice sunny days.
Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would be better off with an fbody oil pan which is 5.5 qts, h3 Pan is 6 qts, truck pan is 6.5 qts...fbody gives a lot more clearance
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Your'e right but the h3 pan has some nice indents on the side that works really good with my inner tie rod ends, and i already have this pan so im going to cut it down and tig it back up. I guess i could fill the sump up with water and measure it's volume and try to stick to a 5.5 quart capacity since thats what a stock f body has and just see what i could get away with.

Quick Reply: oil pan capacity