Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve hitting piston...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Valve hitting piston...?

Let's say you have double springs and a stupid *** dealer rev's your car to 6k over and over causing a spring to break and the valve ends up hitting the piston (even tho the inner spring held the valve up) and let's say the valve is only bent a little bit, would that cause a dimple on the piston? are those dimples really, really bad??
thanks for any info
as you can tell, i am fuming....
Old 03-17-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normally i would say since a dealer did it, pressure them into replacing the pistons, but since this dealer sounds like a retard i would say they will probably mess something else up worse in the process

i had p-v contact a LONG time ago, like 40-45k ago. pulled the heads to replace the valves and there were small kisses on 3 pistons. the were noticable but pretty damn small. we just carefully removed any rough edges on them and hadnt had any problems since

here you can see them (this is from when i did the head swap, i dont have any pics of when we first pulled them to replace the valves)

on about the 11 o'clock line when looking at the piston
Old 03-17-2004, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

If it was me, I wouldn't be worried about the car as much as I'd be worried about how I was going to plea to the murder charge

Seriously though, do you have the head off the car yet so that you can take a pic of it? I've reused pistons that have VERY slight marks on them before without a problem.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! I can't tell you whether or not your pistons are damaged, but I certainly can't blame you for being livid. Good luck, I hope nothing is seriously hurt.

Josh
Old 03-17-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have the heads off yet but the mechanic i have it over at called me and said he did a leakdown before doing any work, and it was leaking 100% He even tried to pull up on the valve and it wouldnt seal. He is putting another spring on to see if the broken spring is not letting it seal, if it leaks after that I probably have some bent valves, which does not make me happy. I will be SO mad if they are bent. He has a boroscope, I asked him to take a lookie down in there to see if he can see anything thats not good.
-Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, I am thinking about n20 in the future, will those cause pre-mature piston failure?