Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I need more power, but cheap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the thing is though goning tens is going to require him to beef up the trans and he will need a 12 bolt or he is eventually going to break his rear end. plus he isnt going to hook up at all unless he has some suspension work done. and dont try to insult me cause i dont have a head or cam and im running 11's. mac headers suck really bad. i have finish line performance headers and got 48 dyno hp at the wheels mac is not doing that. yank converters suck real bad as well get vigilante 3200. he is going to need at least et streets to hook or the tires are going to just spin with a big cam. plus going big doesnt mean doing it right. and if he runs a big cam injectors and fuel pump is going to be a must. plus he needs to make the car breathe first. i mean come on man if you can run tens for only a couple grand i think all of our cars would be in the 10's. my 800hp nitrous stroker motor is already being built. so i think i know what to do. and if your going to run tens have fun investing at least a grand into a roll cage. just getting a cam may satisfy you right now thunder but it will put you in a real bad posision later. either stuff is going to break or its not going to run right. with out injectors and pump your car with a big cam is going to run lean. and if you do the injectors and pump with out enough air flow your air to fuel ratio is going to be jacked. start talking to the moderators thunder and have them explain it to you. getting a big cam and running tens i think is a bad idea and i think people with first hand knowlage of actually building 10 second cars will tell you this. and dont forget i am not some noobie when it comes to racing my car in less then 2 weeks will run mid to high 8's.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Launching!

are you going to be doing all the installations or are you going to have a shop install for you? you got to factor in that...what is a cam and headers good for if they're sitting on the floor
Old 03-20-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hauling *** for 2k with an a4 is easy

tci 3500 stall - 500
mac or pacesetter headers with orp - 450
nittos or bfg drag radials - 350
cam kit from sponsor of choice (id go fms) - 600
cutout - 30

this is under 2k and will get you DEEP into the 12's, possibly 11's

for a little more get 3.73's (if you have 3.23's youll be ok with those, if you have 2.73's change them) and tuning to make the most of the combo

wont make 400 hp but youll be hauling *****
Old 03-20-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off i wasnt insulting you. Sorry if you felt that way.Im not saying he will run 10's im just saying i have seen it done. With all the boltons a 4400 stall and as small as a 226 FMS 114lsa cam.Did the car need some suspension work yes. But LCA's, airbag,remove sway bar and et streets is not that extensive. Yank TCI and Vig are all proven converters.Its a streetable cam and converter with a avg tune. Its not like a t rex or other huge cams. And as for Mac headers they are not bad. Longtubes are alittle better,alittle. I got my macs and Ory for 215 shipped because i dont have 400 for longtubes and an ory.My point was for $400 i got mac headers and ory, Fms F4 cam and 918 springs all shipped.I just wish i had 1600 left like he would....
Old 03-20-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z28 10 SECOND CLUB
the thing is though goning tens is going to require him to beef up the trans and he will need a 12 bolt or he is eventually going to break his rear end. plus he isnt going to hook up at all unless he has some suspension work done. and dont try to insult me cause i dont have a head or cam and im running 11's. mac headers suck really bad. i have finish line performance headers and got 48 dyno hp at the wheels mac is not doing that. yank converters suck real bad as well get vigilante 3200. he is going to need at least et streets to hook or the tires are going to just spin with a big cam. plus going big doesnt mean doing it right. and if he runs a big cam injectors and fuel pump is going to be a must. plus he needs to make the car breathe first. i mean come on man if you can run tens for only a couple grand i think all of our cars would be in the 10's. my 800hp nitrous stroker motor is already being built. so i think i know what to do. and if your going to run tens have fun investing at least a grand into a roll cage. just getting a cam may satisfy you right now thunder but it will put you in a real bad posision later. either stuff is going to break or its not going to run right. with out injectors and pump your car with a big cam is going to run lean. and if you do the injectors and pump with out enough air flow your air to fuel ratio is going to be jacked. start talking to the moderators thunder and have them explain it to you. getting a big cam and running tens i think is a bad idea and i think people with first hand knowlage of actually building 10 second cars will tell you this. and dont forget i am not some noobie when it comes to racing my car in less then 2 weeks will run mid to high 8's.

i guess the hundreds of guys running h/c and cam only cars with 400-450 hp on stock injectors and pump dont know what they are doing. and many a4's run tens with stock rears. and theres also alot of fast guys running macs.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, apparently i need a new converter. i dont know what stall to go for though. i think im going to keep my 3.23's because i enjoy the top end. i couldnt do 150 mph at 4500 rpm with 3.73's or 4.11's. another stupid question, (im new to this) what is ORY? and when you guys say a cat back does that mean i need to change the cats, or just the muffler, or what? i have a flowmaster muffler on right now, and i like the way it sounds, so that isnt a real concern. i was thinking about hooker long tubes. any good? what about SLP? and im not really worried about a cage because im just a kid doing this for fun with friends. we have no inspectors to tell us we cant run because our safety stuff isnt good enough. im still not sure about head porting either. cost??? results??? im going to get help putting this on, so labor cost wont be an issue, except with any porting if i decide to do that. im still very open to all suggestions from anyone. oh and yes, i know bloomfield is in the boonies, but its not like i had much say in it. last thing. does anybody know if katech stage 1 heads are any good? 2.02 intake, 1.570 exhaust. worth it?

Last edited by God of Thunder; 03-20-2004 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 03-20-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

a ORY means ( off road-y-pipe ) a cat back means replacing your exhust from your ( cats back )
Old 03-20-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
i guess the hundreds of guys running h/c and cam only cars with 400-450 hp on stock injectors and pump dont know what they are doing. and many a4's run tens with stock rears. and theres also alot of fast guys running macs.
This guy is a troll/ricer. Look at his other threads... he just read too many catalogs... ..not sure if he even got any times slips or he's just going to run mid 8's his first time at the track, LOL
Old 03-20-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep he really knows what he is doing lol Check out this post.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/150077-help-me-make-10-sec-et.html

Post up when you get those 8's buddy.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
ok, apparently i need a new converter. i dont know what stall to go for though. i think im going to keep my 3.23's because i enjoy the top end. i couldnt do 150 mph at 4500 rpm with 3.73's or 4.11's. another stupid question, (im new to this) what is ORY? and when you guys say a cat back does that mean i need to change the cats, or just the muffler, or what? i have a flowmaster muffler on right now, and i like the way it sounds, so that isnt a real concern. i was thinking about hooker long tubes. any good? what about SLP? and im not really worried about a cage because im just a kid doing this for fun with friends. we have no inspectors to tell us we cant run because our safety stuff isnt good enough. im still not sure about head porting either. cost??? results??? im going to get help putting this on, so labor cost wont be an issue, except with any porting if i decide to do that. im still very open to all suggestions from anyone. oh and yes, i know bloomfield is in the boonies, but its not like i had much say in it. last thing. does anybody know if katech stage 1 heads are any good? 2.02 intake, 1.570 exhaust. worth it?
Get the bolt-ons first... I think you should get a very good idea about what you are doing before you actually go into the motor.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i know bloomfield is in the boonies, but its not like i had much say in it.
You mentioned it, I was just ribbing you.
Get a 2800 stall. you will be happy with that. 10's at our altitude is a lot harder than you think.... Get into the 12's first, with what I listed up there you will be there with some BFGS or Streets.
I met some guys from bloomfield last season here at ALB Dragway, were you one of them. I ran my best that night 11.3@120 with a DA of 6100ft above sea level.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its worse than you realize up here. thats why im not staying here for college. no, i wasnt one of those guys you met. ive never even been to the alb. dragway. this summer im going to be a regular though. so what are the best bolt ons i should be concerned with? i know my induction and headers should come first, but what else? and should i consider an x pipe? anybody?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

any way thunder get finish line performance long tube headers over the slp ones. finish line headers will give you a bigger hp gain and they have a better clearence then slp. and tally trans am where do you get off acting like you know something about cars, that post you just made pretty much shows everyone that your probably a 13 second car trying to act cool. dont give out crap info. if you dont know its ok but dont act like you do. i am on my third f body and i am pretty knowlageable when it comes to making them go fast. and by the way the post that you are referring to frcefed i was trying to make a camaro go low tens with no heads cam pistons or crank. all stock internals can you do that no i didnt think so. oh yea i have no aftermarket internal engine components and i run mid 11's. what do you run cheesey 12's. you know what thunder have fun listening to these guys but when your car sucks dont come crying on the forums.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

what are you 12 years old
Old 03-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Launching!

my vote is go witht the converter first. then i would get rid of the flowmaster because they do not flow very well and get a different exhaust. if you have enough money for true duals, (which is headers into a X-pipe or H-pipe, then either going over each side of the axle and out or dumping before the axle) then do that. You could also go with headers into an off road Y-pipe into a nice catback. My choices for catbacks would the SLP loudmouth, but if that is too loud for you then i heard magnaflow is pretty good. you could do some free mods like porting your TB, weight reduction, etc., etc. or if you have the money for a cam do that (and if you go big with your cam dont forget you need tuning and dual valve springs would be highly suggested). also i didnt see if you had one or not, but don't forget about a lid and filter. good luck
Old 03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Trans Am Where Are You Located You Talk Alot But I Dont Really Think You Can Back It Up. If You Can Beef Up A Car So Easilly For So Cheap Your Car Must Run At Least Low 10's Put A Couple Grand On It And Lets Race Other Wise I Suggest You Be Quiet
Old 03-23-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn, some people need to calm their asses down. anway, what goes into porting a throttle body? would it be very expensive or would it be something i could do myself? Would a new converter affect my daily drivability, or would that depend on the stall? and where might i find a good x pipe? does the loudmouth have an x pipe option? cuz i want something LOUD, loud enough to announce my arrival into the next town. what are dual valve springs? any weight reduction suggestions? and back to my original goal, is there really any way i can make 400 rwhp (with corresponding torque) for $2000 or less?thanx guys, all your replys have been very helpful, except for the arguing ones.

Last edited by God of Thunder; 03-23-2004 at 12:46 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 03-23-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some answers in this thread are too ****** funny. Thanks z28 10 second club for giving me a good laugh.

Tally being a troll/ricer has got to be the funniest **** in this thread.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Gods of Thunder ...

Are you doing your own installs ?? $2000 is alot if you install everything yourself but if you have to pay someone .. then $2000 is not going to get you that far.

Basic mods , lid , catback , pulley
converter
SFC
headers and then tuning ..

depending on if you install yourself or pay someone .. Those alone could eat your $2000 ..

Here is my .02 . If you car is a daily driver like mine .. get a nice flowing exhaust like Magnaflow but if you want to announce your presence then get an electric cutout installed. Your end goal is a fast car that you can drive daily. Mod slow and don't forget routine maintaince, bad maintaince habits will kill a modded car fast!!

Stephen
Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ill be doing the installation either myself or with some help, so cost of labor isnt an issue. any other suggestions. i think ive decided on what i will basically start with. a cold air induction kit, headers, and a cat back exhaust, and have a tune. i would still appreciate some info on tb porting. in a couple of months when i can afford it i am going to buy a new cam, converter, do something concerning the heads, and then have it retuned. does this sound reasonable to you guys, or would you suggest something else? if its ok then help me find the best i can get of these parts please. if not, or if i missed something, please help me in any way possible. oh and i think i will buy a strut tower brace and subframe connectors in the midst of all that. good? bad? i appreciate any and all suggestions. thanks guys

Last edited by God of Thunder; 03-23-2004 at 01:30 AM.