Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant pinpoint the dreaded engine tick......

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012 | 07:47 PM

Angry cant pinpoint the dreaded engine tick......

Ok first off my oil pressure was getting a little sketchy on me and there was a slight ticking. So i replaced the oil pickup tube gasket on the oil pump and my oil pressure is completely better. as for the tick... It only does it when the motor is warmed up. As soon as i start it, it sounds great but after warming up the tick occurs in the top end im guessing in the valvetrain. So my next step was to change the pushrods....they were a little snake-eyed..(more oval than round) but i changed them anyway. It is still ticking i have pretty much pinpointed it coming from under the intake (between the valve covers directly in the center of the motor). so i guess that leaves me with lifters maybe???? If it was a rod, piston or wrist pin it would do this as soon as i started it, not just at warmup. Anyone with any suggestions are greatly greatly apppreciated!!!!!
Old 02-04-2012 | 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cummins2005
Ok first off my oil pressure was getting a little sketchy on me and there was a slight ticking. So i replaced the oil pickup tube gasket on the oil pump and my oil pressure is completely better. as for the tick... It only does it when the motor is warmed up. As soon as i start it, it sounds great but after warming up the tick occurs in the top end im guessing in the valvetrain. So my next step was to change the pushrods....they were a little snake-eyed..(more oval than round) but i changed them anyway. It is still ticking i have pretty much pinpointed it coming from under the intake (between the valve covers directly in the center of the motor). so i guess that leaves me with lifters maybe???? If it was a rod, piston or wrist pin it would do this as soon as i started it, not just at warmup. Anyone with any suggestions are greatly greatly apppreciated!!!!!
wow dude stop replacing parts for no reason, that **** gets expensive quick. you have a fucked up lifter. take the car to someone who is knowledgeable and get it fixed. it will only get louder. if you dont want to fix it try alot thicker oil (not recommending it just saying if you don't care try this).
Old 02-04-2012 | 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what was your oil pressure doing? Dropping down as the car reached operating temps?

What type of oil are you using and what mods have you done to the car engine related?

Sounds like something is out of clearance. When it's cold, no noise and soon as the oil heats up and thins out you get your ticking noise. You could try a heavier weight oil as mentioned to see if it helps but it may be a lifter causing the problem.

Hope you get it figured out.
Old 02-04-2012 | 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 5.7 did the same thing. The last owner didn't use the correct weight oil. The lifter would make hell 'a noise untill it got some rpm, pumped up then quit. Then at low engine speed would start making noise agin. Its a lifter.
How many miles on the engine? Any mods?
Old 02-05-2012 | 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

I say forget the thicker oil. No sense in just sweeping the dirt under the rug. Park it, then fix it, then drive it. 1 bad lifter can wipe out your block among other things. Been there, done that. Hated it. Had a dumba$# mechanic who said " ah just drive it that way if you don't wanna put a 6 liter in there, it might cost you about 5 hp but won't hurt anything." HA!
Have a great mechanic now
Old 02-05-2012 | 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

Tell us a little more about the engine - heads, cam, springs, etc. When did it start making the ticking noise?
Old 02-05-2012 | 06:36 AM

my oil pressure was above 40 then as it warmed up it would drop about half way down and kinda float. the oil pressure is 40 and above now. There is no mods done to the car at all exept exhaust thats how i bought it. and when i replaced the o-ring i put some thick *** oil in it 20-50. my uncle owns a shop thats where the car is so i have a good mechanic. he was telling me it was a lifter but i wanted it to be something simpler are they a headache to change out? THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!!
Old 02-05-2012 | 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

To change the lifters you will have to pull the cylinder heads.
Old 02-05-2012 | 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

A pain? Yes. As big a pain as buying a new block? No.
Old 02-05-2012 | 10:04 AM

alright i guess im going to tear into it tommorow thanks everyone
Old 02-05-2012 | 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

id take a look into each and every lifter bore and peak at the camshaft, gm has been known to make some **** cams with poor metals and the cam starts flaking apart.

or if you can pull the valley plate and take a look at the cam, idk how muhc youll be able to see
Old 02-05-2012 | 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

you are welcome