Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve seal question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Valve seal question.

Ever since I did my heads/cam set up I've had a little cold start smoking. Once the car ran for a few minutes it would stop. Only a very light blue mist. Well when I pulled the plugs I noticed a little oil on the number 8 plug and when I pulled my valve covers to do the trunions I noticed one of the valve seals seemed to sit a little higher than the rest of them. Is it possible i need to just take something and push it down a little or will it need replaced? I'm not familiar with how the actual seal to valve is designed. thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes You can push it down onto the valve guide and it most likely will seal correctly but may pop up again ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's pretty easy to remove 1 valve spring ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remove the spark plug for that cylinder ,,,,,then turn the crank clockwise looking at the engine from the front until that piston is about an inch from top dead center on the compression stroke (both valves would be closed for most of the compression stroke) . You may need a friend or someone to turn the crank while You put You'r finger over the spark plug hole and feel the air coming out of the hole ,,,,,,,,,,then get some nylon rope maybe 6 feet or so and put as much of it in that cylinder via the spark plug hole ,,,make sure and leave a foot or so outside the cylinder to pull out on when done . Then turn the crank by hand with socket until it gets tight , the remove the locks, keeper and the valve check the seal for the spring at the bottom .....etc ,,,,,good luck